Force Carb 2.5 gallon keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmess

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a solid answer on this question. This will be my first attempt at kegging and am a little nervous about force carbing this keg. I picked up a 2.5 gallon torpedo keg and have a BBQ on Saturday. I have a batch of a citra pale that just finished up in the fermenter after 14 days and I'll be racking to the keg tonight. This gives me 3 days to get this carbed! If I put this on 30 psi for 24 hours in the fridge am I running the risk of overcarbing?

30 psi for 24 hours would normally be the approach for a 5 gallon keg. You're trying to carbonate half that amount of beer, so you may want to leave it at 30 psi for 12 hours assuming your beer is already at fridge/serving temperature.

If you haven't chilled the beer yet and you're planning to chill while carbonating in the fridge then you'll likely be ok to leave it at 30 psi for 24 hours, then disconnect the gas, vent, reconnect at serving pressure of 12 psi till Saturday.

Take your normal serving pressure and multiply by 7, then divide that number by the number of days you're going to be "burst carbing". For me, my serving pressure is at 12psi, so 12x7 is 84. Since my regulator only goes up to 60, I burst carb for 2 days at 40-42psi. Then I vent the keg, and hit it at 12psi.

If you overcarb, you can hook the gas line to the beer out post. One of the members here posted up a YouTube vid on it. Vent the keg first, then hook the gas line to the beer out post. You'll hear the keg "gurgle" as CO2 is forced out of solution and into the head space. When the gurgling stops, vent, swap the lines, and check the pour. Repeat until the CO2 levels are right.

If you have an extra beer disconnect (black if you're using ball lock kegs), swap that with the gas disconnect as putting a gas disconnect on a beer out post can be a pita to remove. My disconnects have MFL threads instead of barbs, so swapping beer disconnects for the gas ones is a breeze. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back