For x gallons, how many pounds of grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
I get that the mash strike water ratio is 1.5quarts for every pound I have (at 10 degrees over the desired mash temp) and that Sparge water is 1.5 times the water used to strike (at 165 F) until I hit 1.008 or enough wort is collected.

But how many pounds will I use based on the final desired volume?

i mean, for example, I want to do 5 gallons of beer using 2 row (80%), wheat (15%) and oats (5%). How many pounds will I use of each to get to 1.053? Is there a formula or something?

Good question,p bit I'd just use beer smith or brew toad. Not sure how to figure it out. Assumption is total grain bill is under 10 lbs though.

Actually the free ones aren't too bad for this as well. My favorite used to be brewers friend before I bought beersmith.

There are just too many variables. Efficiency is a big determining factor. Get the software or use one of the free programs. Then most likely you will still be off on gravity until you zero in your extract yield and learn how to squeeze the best efficiency out of your unit.

Back