For those who dry hop in the keg,,,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The attached pic is my first beer dry hopped in the keg.
Blackberry IPA sediment.jpg
It was an IPA with blackberries and a bit of lactose. Used some flaked oats, but after the first few glasses, it cleared up to a nice purty, but clear purple-red. But now, with probably less than a half gallon left, I'm getting this. Did the muslin bag with the hops that I suspended into the keg break or come open? That's my assumption, as the sediment looks like very fine hop material. It's floating in the beer right after the pour, and adds some undesirable bitterness. So I put it in the fridge overnight, then just took this pic.

I'll know better once I open the keg, but assuming it did come apart, what's the accepted procedure and materials for dry hopping in the keg?

Maybe your bag wasnt tied off and sealed completely? Or your bag is too coarse and needs to be finer. Getting a rip or tear seams unlikely as theres no moving parts in a keg. Hop dust always migrates out of the bag, but that seems crazy.

Did you suspend the bag? If it has sunk down with the dropping beer level, and now is right up against the dip tube mouth i could see it sucking up more hop dust that way.

On a beer like this with keg hops and fruit, id say invest in a real clear beer draft unit, or make your own. Just need some soft silicone tubing and a fermentasaurus floating dip tube assembly. Cheap, simple, and effective.

Maybe your bag wasnt tied off and sealed completely? Or your bag is too coarse and needs to be finer. Getting a rip or tear seams unlikely as theres no moving parts in a keg. Hop dust always migrates out of the bag, but that seems crazy.

Did you suspend the bag? If it has sunk down with the dropping beer level, and now is right up against the dip tube mouth i could see it sucking up more hop dust that way.

On a beer like this with keg hops and fruit, id say invest in a real clear beer draft unit, or make your own. Just need some soft silicone tubing and a fermentasaurus floating dip tube assembly. Cheap, simple, and effective.
Yes, I suspended it with dental floss. That's why I assume it came loose and fell to the bottom.

I'll look into the floating dip tube, but like I said, beer was clear until a few days ago.

Maybe it’s still suspended, but now above the beer and dripping hop mud into bottom of keg?

How did you know that there is about a half gallon left? Did you move the keg? I have moved a keg and then had to let it sit for like a week before I could drink it again.

I use panty hose and have never had an issue. Cheap, simple and effective. I dont even suspend it. The hops just float on top. No sediment in the beer either.

Latest posts

Back