For those who ask about pot size and batch size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a 10gal batch of a IPA with hops i had laying around. I call it a garbage day ipa. Anyways grain bill is 20.5 lbs, pot size is 15.8gal, and water volume was 13.25gallons.

That is a no go combination but not my much. I pulled 1gallon of mash water out and now its mashing away for another 45min.

So if your looking to do a 10gallon batch i'd recommend a 18 gallon pot and your off to the races.

I had 13.25 gal of strike water and once i added 3/4 of grains i was about to over flow. So i pulled a gallon of water out and added remaining grains. It took 10-15min for the grains to absorb the water and i was able to add remaining water for a true BIAB. No sparge required and i reached my target pre boil volume of 11.25 gallons.

Sorry i had 11.5 pre boil and required 11.9 or so. I may have to top up some. Looks like pre boil sg is on target

So i take it back!!

If you are careful, you can do a true BIAB 10 gallon batch with a 16 gallon pot. Just allow the grains to absorb the water.

I have a 17.5 gallon pot and was around 2 inches off of the top with a 1.050 brew mashing. It seems that if I wanted to do a beer that is much bigger, it will be cutting it close. Seems like a 20 gallon pot would cover almost anything.

Back