For those that have a beer engine, traditional or handmade...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve done both. Originally I did the DIY beer engine project, but mounted the pump into the lid of a Rubbermaid container. Basically would pour my beer into the container and pump it out using the rocket pump. That worked ok for a while but I stopped using it because it became a pain to clean. The advantage is I could use it with commercial beers which was a lot of fun to do a side by side since the pump/sparkler tip I was using knocked a lot of CO2 out of it.

I bought a used beer engine on eBay a few months back. I hooked the beer engine up to a polypin that I keep in the mini-fridge next to it. The only “special” thing I did was to add check valves to prevent the beer from flowing back from the engine to the polypin when I wasn’t using it. I think it works really well, and I found that the beer lasts for 3-4 weeks though it declines towards the end.
IMG_5759.JPG
IMG_5781.JPG

I have one like above. I am actually having a local wood worker build a permanent stand for it in the next month or two. It works great and is not a huge deal to set up, clean, use, etc. I don't use it a lot, but I like having it. I don't use it as an "every day" tap option. However, I plan ahead from time to time and when we are having a party or I know there are going to be enough people coming over for a day/evening, I will set it up. I also have some 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs if I want to transfer some beer into one of those so I don't have an entire 5 gallon keg that I am trying to get through. I like mine. Kind of falls solidly into the "want" category more than the "need" category as far as brewing stuff goes.

My goal is to build permanent setup to house the mini-fridge and beer engine side by side to maintain the same setup as in my pics. I’ve been researching options and coming up with some ideas, and a materials list. Never realized how expensive lumber is.

I like the idea of using smaller sized kegs, pretty sure drinking a 5 gallon batch over 4 weeks is why my pants don’t fit anymore...

Woodworking is not really in my wheelhouse..... but, I am going to have someone build me something like this. Does not take up a lot of room, Looks nice when it is not in use, back is open to get at the tubing, etc. Keg is out of site in the back. Portable if I want to move it to different locations for parties, etc.

thumbnail_beer-engine-407.jpg

I like the look of that. Now I’m wondering if having the engine on top of the fridge is the way to go.... I’ve never really done any woodworking projects besides shop class in high school but budget demands I do it myself

Here is another thread that has an example too that is a little more straight forward.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?88278-Beer-Engine-Stand-Cabinet

Worth noting, whenever I use mine, it is basically for a few hours at a time. I am not trying to keep the beer cold....... I take the keg out of the fridge and set it at room temp in my basement (which is generally fairly cool - 65 degrees give or take) I open the pressure relief valve on the keg, It is generally for an event where it is all going to get drank in a few hours. I intend for the entire 2-3-5 gallons to get drank at that one event.

If you wanted to keep a keg "on tap" on a beer engine for a month, you would need to incorporate some type of refrigeration as well as CO2 bleeder into the keg to keep oxygen from degrading the beer.

Thanks for the link. I’ve rigged up my mini-fridge setup to keep the beer cold. I have it set on the “warmest” setting so that it stays between 48-50 degrees. It’s cooler than cellar temps, but I figure it’ll warm to where it’s supposed to be in the glass over a few minutes.

I use the polypins to get around the need for a CO2 setup. Basically just a big plastic cube with a spigot that I run my tubing to, check valve keeps the beer from flowing back. As beer is drawn out, the cube collapses so minimal oxygen gets in and no vacuum forms. It worked well for me, but someday I’d like to graduate to an actual cask with a breather and what not

As I delve more and more into bitters, I need to find a way to make this work for my place. I have a 5 tap keezer, but I am thinking of making a stand alone setup. I have a few 2.5 gallon kegs, so I am thinking all I need is a mini fridge, cask breather and a pump. Where are you guys with the hand pumps getting them? Is it worth having one shipped from EBay in England, or is there a source over on this side of the pond that doesn’t cost $800?

I got mine from England on eBay. It was totally worth it, $120 shipped. It got from Manchester to Maryland in like 5 days which is crazy. The only thing is that it was used so I had to do a lot of cleaning but it was worth it. There are some threads around that describe using a propane regulator for a grill in place of a breather as they perform the same function but it’s way way cheaper

As I delve more and more into bitters, I need to find a way to make this work for my place. I have a 5 tap keezer, but I am thinking of making a stand alone setup. I have a few 2.5 gallon kegs, so I am thinking all I need is a mini fridge, cask breather and a pump. Where are you guys with the hand pumps getting them? Is it worth having one shipped from EBay in England, or is there a source over on this side of the pond that doesn’t cost $800?
I bought this one.... from Northern Brewer 5+ years ago. I think it was more like $400 when I got it, and I used some gift cards/specials so it cost "me" about $200 at the time. It works really well.
You can find them cheaper, older, authentic on eBay.... but, you many need to have some degree or ability to do some of your own work in regard to cleaning, replacing parts, etc.

I have a newer Masons and an old Angram that never worked properly. I use the former weekly and love it, have a cask breather on it and it works great. I bought the Masons for ~$220 with shipping to the U.S, although it looks like they've gone to a new model and increased the price slightly. Definitely the most affordable beer engine around.

https://www.pint365.com/pint365/c2

Wow those look a lot nicer and cleaner than mine! I took mine apart fairly easily (albeit carefully) to give it a good cleaning. I wish that I could definitively pin down the manufacturer of mine and maybe replace some of the components over time but for now it’ll do.

I have a newer Masons and an old Angram that never worked properly. I use the former weekly and love it, have a cask breather on it and it works great. I bought the Masons for ~$220 with shipping to the U.S, although it looks like they've gone to a new model and increased the price slightly. Definitely the most affordable beer engine around.

https://www.pint365.com/pint365/c2

Do you have any photos of your setup and how you have things rigged up?

I got mine from England on eBay. It was totally worth it, $120 shipped. It got from Manchester to Maryland in like 5 days which is crazy. The only thing is that it was used so I had to do a lot of cleaning but it was worth it. There are some threads around that describe using a propane regulator for a grill in place of a breather as they perform the same function but it’s way way cheaper

I did the same. Very pleased. I paid more, but mine was ready to pour, with all new components, cooling jacket as well. Too bad I don't drink beer anymore. A forlorn cask sitting there in my hallway.

I ended up picking up a used Angram and am happy with it. I'm using it with cubitainers and have a pretty good setup. I've put two beers through it, but am thinking that it is best for a party situation where you know that 2.5 gallons is going to get drank that session. Here's a stout I just put on a couple weeks ago - it was drinking great for the first week or so, then is goes downhill and loses carbonation after that.

stout.png

Nice setup with the cubitainers! Yeah definitely notice a decline in quality over a few weeks. I didn’t have carbonation issues but definitely flavor deterioration. Did you encounter decline in flavor quality with your stout? I was hoping a beer with stronger flavors might survive better than an ordinary bitter

Latest posts

Back