For those that bottle: ABV vs carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slym2none

"Lazy extract brewer."
Reaction score
I am curious - I know that "bigger" beers take longer to carbonate, but I swear that big beers don't carbonate as highly as lower OG beers. Is this in my head, or do bigger beers actually need more priming sugar to get to a certain level of CO²? I swear my bigger beers never seem to get quite the same level of carbonation as smaller beers do, using the same amount of priming sugar.

I too have noticed that my stouts take longer to carb up. Interested to read what others think about the more sugar need / not need.

I don't like highly carbed beers so I don't mind the level of carbonation per se but wonder about the time it takes. Maltier beers are better undercarbed than over in my taste.

Many yeast strains have a hard time fermenting in a high alcohol environment. So it takes longer for the reduced amount of viable yeast cells (that tolerate the environment) to completely convert sugars to CO2.

Back