for $5,000,000 would you never drink beer again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I wouldn't give up beer for no amount of money; it's one of my simple pleasures in life and no amount of money would be worth denying myself its enjoyment. I'm in no way rich, but make a comfortable amount of money that gets the bills paid and gives me a little bit to play with. So could I use the 5 mil, hell yeah, but I'm not in such dire straights that I would deny myself a simple pleasure for it.

I understand this response but I'd reply with... how about the simple pleasure of getting yourself out of debt? Or being able to send your children to college and them coming out without ANY debt? How about taking family/friends on trips around the world? Letting your kids experience and learn about things that right now you only dream of?

IMO, these things far out weight the "simple pleasure" of having a nice cold beer on a hot day. I'd be able to set my family up for life. Not to say that generations could live high on the hog of $5M, but it sure would get me, my wife, and son off to a great start. I can't imagine a more enjoyable feeling than knowing I could send my son to any college he chose AND set him up with some money to start a debt free life of his own, to make with it what he will. And at the same time my wife and I being able to pay off all of our debts and travel.

PS: And we haven't even mentioned being able to take some of that money and do some REAL good with it. Donate, charity work, or just help someone you know who could really use it. I could go on and on, but you get the point.

I honestly don't see how anybody could realistically NOT take the deal. Even if it were no alcohol period.

The question is, how low is that number? $50k? No. $100k? No. $500k? Probably not. $1mil? Uh . . .

Probably a million. That would pay off all my debt (mortgage, cars, etc) and leave me with a very nice little nest egg / rainy day fund for the SHTF moments of life. With the house paid off I'd be left with enough for AT LEAST a 2-3 year cushion, probably more, in case I suddenly couldn't work at my job for any reason.

That much increase in personal/family security would be my number.

I figure I got 25 to 30 years left to live. So let's split the difference, give me something between $167k and $200k and I'll quit beer for a year.

My low number is all of my debt that I carry today paid off. So we're talking over $100k with house, car, education, and very very small (under $2k) credit card debt.

Give me 2.5 mil in silver bullion and I'll give up commercial beer. Anything else, no deal. Don't need it.

F-yeah.

I have a special relationship with 15 yr old bourbon and peaty Scotch on the side.

I'm not a greedy person and money doesn't mean a whole lot to me, so I say no, I wouldn't not give up beer for $5 million. Life is more than just money.

It can buy me hookers and blow though! Now that's love. So maaaaaaaybe I would..............

I think it would be interesting to do a statistical correlation between the responses to this question with the responses to the question "Would you sell your soul for 5,000,000?"

I think it would be interesting to do a statistical correlation between the responses to this question with the responses to the question "Would you sell your soul for 5,000,000?"

I'd sell my soul for far far less than I would charge to not drink beer. It'd be hard to picture turning down any offer for my soul. I'd rent it for next to nothing.

I understand this response but I'd reply with... how about the simple pleasure of getting yourself out of debt? Or being able to send your children to college and them coming out without ANY debt? How about taking family/friends on trips around the world? Letting your kids experience and learn about things that right now you only dream of?

IMO, these things far out weight the "simple pleasure" of having a nice cold beer on a hot day. I'd be able to set my family up for life. Not to say that generations could live high on the hog of $5M, but it sure would get me, my wife, and son off to a great start. I can't imagine a more enjoyable feeling than knowing I could send my son to any college he chose AND set him up with some money to start a debt free life of his own, to make with it what he will. And at the same time my wife and I being able to pay off all of our debts and travel.

PS: And we haven't even mentioned being able to take some of that money and do some REAL good with it. Donate, charity work, or just help someone you know who could really use it. I could go on and on, but you get the point.

My student loans are being paid down, and my 2 year old son's college tuition fund is going up such that by the time he is 18 he'll have at least $150k, so all of that is being taken care of and I still get to enjoy the simple pleasure of enjoying a nice cold beer.

Honestly if money is such a problem for all you guys that you are so willing to give up something you find pleasurable for a few dollars, then maybe you should give it up now so that you can pay those debts down without waiting for someone to bribe you to do so?

Edit: As for my soul I would sell that for a case of Old Rasputin and a Blichman 10 gal pot.

Yup, no question I would give up beer for that amount of cash. I could insert many a vice into beers seat for that kind of green. I might miss it when I come up from a dive on a pristine reef on Kauai, but only until my butler brought me my mai tai.

I haven't had to live with your typical American financial stresses for the last six years thanks to the reasonable income and low cost of living of being an English teacher in China. A quick shot of $5 million would set me and my family up for the rest of my and my wife's natural lives, but while we're not particularly wealthy, we'll get by just fine without it. Turning down $5 million (or even $1 million) for a lifetime of beer abstinence would be a harder decision than it was to turn down a 90% raise to move across the country to teach in a different school where my wife and I would have less autonomy in our teaching and less vacation time, but since money isn't everything, I'm pretty sure I'd pass on the offer.

Of course, I'd have to keep the offer secret from my wife - she'd make that deal for me in a heartbeat, and if I turned down such an offer and she knew it, we'd have some serious marital issues over that.

It's not about the money or even necessarily the beer as much as it is my dislike of the idea of selling something positive about my life for money. Working for money doesn't bother me because I enjoy my work, but I regularly turn down requests to do extra work for 3-4x my regular salary because my time off is valuable to me - the balance of work and rest is a much better lifestyle than an excess of either of them.

(All that idealistic rambling aside, if somebody actually offered me $5 million to give up beer, I'd sign the contract before the page was even out of the printer)

My student loans are being paid down, and my 2 year old son's college tuition fund is going up such that by the time he is 18 he'll have at least $150k, so all of that is being taken care of and I still get to enjoy the simple pleasure of enjoying a nice cold beer.

Honestly if money is such a problem for all you guys that you are so willing to give up something you find pleasurable for a few dollars, then maybe you should give it up now so that you can pay those debts down without waiting for someone to bribe you to do so?

Edit: As for my soul I would sell that for a case of Old Rasputin and a Blichman 10 gal pot.

I just love when people change the parameters mid-debate. "A few dollars"? I believe we're discussing $5M.

And I'd counter your argument by saying if you weren't willing to give up something as unnecessary as beer to be able to provide yourself, your family, and many others with a better life.... well then maybe you should be looking in the mirror.

Would I sell something fictional for $5,000,000, but I get my beer back.....now we're talking!:tank:

We are not talking of a "few dollars" here. The amount we are talking about is well over 5 times what I will earn in the rest of my life!

In a heartbeat, I would switch to wine making and tequila for far less!

So what happens if you get the money and drink A beer, say 5 years down the road? Is it going to be like near the end of the 3rd Indiana Jones where the guy withers away to dust?

So what happens if you get the money and drink A beer, say 5 years down the road? Is it going to be like near the end of the 3rd Indiana Jones where the guy withers away to dust?

Sounds reasonable.

Sounds reasonable.

Ha! Yikes!

I asked a friend about this and I've been convinced...I'd take $5 million to quit drinking beer for the rest of my life and totally switch to wine.

I would stop for a lot less than 5 million. But since you quoted 5million yes, I'd drink nothing but water the rest of my life through a staw with my pinky elevated. My families family would be set for generations.

I could easily give up any single food or any and all alcoholic drink for 5M. And I love both. Give up a luxury for a lifetime of dawdling? Sign me up.

Oh, no...much, much more prolonged and painful than that. As in, all that you hold dear is wiped out, except you, and you get to dwell on the consequences of that one beer for eternity.

This question only works for someone with a capitalist mentality. Ask the same question in a communist country, or a place with no concept of money and I bet close to 100% would keep their alcohol against any amount.
For me, knowing that $5 million wouldn't make me happy, and would likely only add problems to my life...I'll keep the alcohol, thanks. :)

Sent from my VS920 4G using Home Brew mobile app

This question only works for someone with a capitalist mentality. Ask the same question in a communist country, or a place with no concept of money and I bet close to 100% would keep their alcohol against any amount.
For me, knowing that $5 million wouldn't make me happy, and would likely only add problems to my life...I'll keep the alcohol, thanks. :)

Sent from my VS920 4G using Home Brew mobile app

:rolleyes:

I just love when people change the parameters mid-debate. "A few dollars"? I believe we're discussing $5M.

And I'd counter your argument by saying if you weren't willing to give up something as unnecessary as beer to be able to provide yourself, your family, and many others with a better life.... well then maybe you should be looking in the mirror.

And once you get the $5 million you're going to find out that isn't quite enough (look at all those lottery winners that are worse off than before they won), and that you need a lot more; hence why I use the term a few dollars.

Right now me and my family are living comfortably and and are doing quite well which is why I say I wouldn't give up beer for the $5 million; we are doing great without it. So why give up something I enjoy for something that will probably bring more issues and headaches into my life.

Now if I was down on my luck with no or a very low paying job, debts stacking up, and other issues, then yeah I would happily give up beer for $5 million to provide for my family. Of course if that was the situation I wouldn't be drinking beer as it is so giving it up wouldn't be all that difficult a choice.

Of course if we were talking half a billion dollars then I would give up drinking without a thought.

Would I and my family be more likely to be happier, more fulfilled people throughout our lives with millions or with homebrewing and beer? I haven't noticed the very wealthy actually being happier than my lower to middle class drinking buddies.

I hope I would let the money go and keep enjoying a good thing, but if it came down to it, I fear it might be difficult to resist the money. Fortunately, I will never have to find out if I actually love riches more than beer, because no one is that interested in seeing anyone give up beer.

I would give up beer for a number much, much lower than $5 mil. I enjoy beer, and I like brewing as a hobby, but I'm sure I can find other things to drink and other hobbies to keep me busy.

I'd give up any of my four least favorite limbs for that kind of money. So uh yeah, I think I could learn to like wine. :)

Back