Foodsaver users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foppa78

Reaction score
I notice that foodsaver rolls come in 8 and 11 inch sizes. What size do you find the most useful and easiest to use? Or do you find it easier to buy the pre-made bags?

I always buy a roll of each and they usually run out at about the same time.

I generally just make my bags to fit as I seem to always need different sizes. I tend to use the smaller size for hops quite a bit and the larger for steeping grains.

EDIT: The canisters, while a bit pricey, are really great as well.

I love my Foodsaver. Just got it for Christmas with a few 11 inch rolls. I've been working my way through them, but will definately be picking up both size rolls next time. I wouldn't bother with the premade bags. It's too easy to make custom bag sizes from the roll for whatever you're working with.

foppa78 said:
I notice that foodsaver rolls come in 8 and 11 inch sizes. What size do you find the most useful and easiest to use? Or do you find it easier to buy the pre-made bags?

I always have a spare of each, but I go through the 11 inch rolls more often because I'm always buying meat in bulk.

malkore said:
my local Shopko had the canisters on clearance last week. like $7.99

Wow I haven't heard someone talk about Shopko since I moved away from Nebraska 10 years ago. We don't have those down here in Kansas City.

Anyone know how many quart canister it will take to hold 3lbs of DME?

foppa78 said:
Wow I haven't heard someone talk about Shopko since I moved away from Nebraska 10 years ago. We don't have those down here in Kansas City.

Er...1.5...

:drunk:

foppa78 said:

Get the attachment that lets you seal canning jar lids, then you can move up to 1/2 gallon canning jars... that is what I am using for storing a lot of things.

rabidgerbil said:
Get the attachment that lets you seal canning jar lids, then you can move up to 1/2 gallon canning jars... that is what I am using for storing a lot of things.

I was just going to mention this. You can get the attachment and use mason jars. I've only used them for homemade applesauce so for, but the can be used for anything you'd use the Foodsaver Canisters for.

Kilted Brewer said:
I was just going to mention this. You can get the attachment and use mason jars. I've only used them for homemade applesauce so for, but the can be used for anything you'd use the Foodsaver Canisters for.

Yup... and I keep pint, quart, and 1/2 gallon jars around for yeast storage and what not, so they are perfect.

I use the 8 inch rolls for hops and the 11 inch for grain. A bag six marker lines long off of the roll can hold 5 lbs of grain (7 lines if it's flaked).

I'm lucky enough to buy my hops in vaccuum sealed bags, so if I use a fraction of the ounce, I just reseal it in the original bag. I too buy the bigger rolls for bulk meat storage.

Buford said:
I use the 8 inch rolls for hops and the 11 inch for grain. A bag six marker lines long off of the roll can hold 5 lbs of grain (7 lines if it's flaked).

You can also take a section of the 11 inch, cut it down the middle and seal those edges to get bags 5.5 inches wide. I do that for small packages like hops.

Wow, my first posting and its not about beer.

We have used the Food savers for over 20 years now. I found the large bags to be of most value as I can fit anything in them. If it is a small item; I just use less bag. I found the Costco refill boxes to be the best buy, just pick up a box when I run out of either bag and you are all set.

The canning lid attachment is critical. We use it from everything from home dried herbs to white chocolate powder for my coffee.

Perfect for hops, grains, and any liquid that needs to be stored in an air free environment. Not to mention how it open steaks up for 10 minute deep marinades.

Back