Follow Brewtarget hit gravity... follow Beersmith miss numbers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvcjbl

Reaction score
I have always followed Brewtarget for my all grain mash steps. This is the first brew that I have followed Beersmith 2.0 to a "t". I missed O.G. by 5 points and missed my final gravity by 8 points. I am unbelievably pissed right now. My initial transfer to fermenter volume looks a little low. I will post my findings once I have racked. I am looking for 5.5 gallons with 6.5 gallons in the kettle prior to transfer. I have just shy of 6 gallons in the kettle now, so we will see how it goes.

A poor carpenter blames his tools.

If you're used to using one programs and switch to another, don't be surprised when it doesn't work exactly the same. I've used Beersmith for years without issues, so I don't think the problem is Beersmith. It's all about finding a program that works for you, and sticking with it.

The issue isn't in Brewtarget either (can't speak for Beersmith, never used it). I've used it exclusively since going AG, and I hit my numbers every time. Would I get the same numbers using a different program and the same process? I don't know. But I do know my beer tastes good and I have my process down for repeatability, and that's all that really matters.

Beersmith can be tailored to your specific needs. Program your mash efficiency, program the grain potential, etc. Likely there are differences between the programs in the default settings.

For FG, Beersmith just bases it on a set percentage of the OG. It either uses the default for the yeast you tell you are using, or you can change the yeast attenuation.

Overall, Beersmith is a pretty dumb program, but has lots of capability for the use to tailor it to their own set-up. I suspect all the programs are equally dumb, and it just depends on how close their defaults come to your process as to how they match your process without adjustment.

My biggest complaint, is that it should be able to process sugars as being 100% fermentable, Crystal as being very low fermentability, and should also be able to adjust fermentability on mash temperature.

I posted this question in another thread with no response. Brewtarget factors a strike temp higher to get my grain bed to 165-168'f... Beersmith just figures a temp of 168'f which is what I followed. I have always done for example a mash in of 152'f with sparge of lets say 164'f... let that sit for 60 mins and then done another of lets say 180'f sparge for a grain bed of 168'f which is what brewtarget calculates. Beersmith says 164'f of sparge for grain bed of 152'f and then water temp of 168'f for undetermined amount of time. I have done a lot of research and a lot of people were bitching about this and some just say it is no issue and follow it as the bible.

You missed your FG by 8 points....sounds like your fault honestly...not Beersmith. As far as your OG goes, your specific brewing equipment can contribute quite a bit to eff issues, coupled with perhaps bad grains. Either way, not sure why you are "pissed off". You missed your OG by 5 points...honestly, that's not something I would go postal over. You made beer. Congrats.

Oh, and just so you know I'm not just tootin' my horn, I use BT exclusively, as I have found BS 2.0 to be kinda "bloated". That's it.

I posted this question in another thread with no response. Brewtarget factors a strike temp higher to get my grain bed to 165-168'f... Beersmith just figures a temp of 168'f which is what I followed. I have always done for example a mash in of 152'f with sparge of lets say 164'f... let that sit for 60 mins and then done another of lets say 180'f sparge for a grain bed of 168'f which is what brewtarget calculates. Beersmith says 164'f of sparge for grain bed of 152'f and then water temp of 168'f for undetermined amount of time. I have done a lot of research and a lot of people were bitching about this and some just say it is no issue and follow it as the bible.

I don't even use the temps Brewtarget spits out. I always use the strike water/infusion water temperature equations from How To Brew. It really helps putting them into Excel so all you need to do is plug in a few numbers each time.

I don't even use the temps Brewtarget spits out. I always use the strike water/infusion water temperature equations from How To Brew. It really helps putting them into Excel so all you need to do is plug in a few numbers each time.

To second that, I dont use the strike and sparge water temps either. I always go 11 deg over desired mash temp for strike water, and I always sparge with 180 water...brings my grain temp to 168 for mash out.

You missed your FG by 8 points....sounds like your fault honestly...not Beersmith. As far as your OG goes, your specific brewing equipment can contribute quite a bit to eff issues, coupled with perhaps bad grains. Either way, not sure why you are "pissed off". You missed your OG by 5 points...honestly, that's not something I would go postal over. You made beer. Congrats.

I've always been very hard on myself, not pissed off per say where I am like OMG I'm done... just upset. I've brewed this beer 100x with the same results every time. The only difference is instead of raising the grain bed temp to 168'f I used sparge temp of 168'f. I guess that is the factor for loss gravity points.

To second that, I dont use the strike and sparge water temps either. I always go 11 deg over desired mash temp for strike water, and I always sparge with 180 water...brings my grain temp to 168 for mash out.

Are you running your brew through software, or just brewing on a "whim" since you know your mash temps?

Are you running your brew through software, or just brewing on a "whim" since you know your mash temps?

Yes, I'm using the software to see if I hit my numbers, and for strike and sparge water volumes...but not temps. I know my system, which is the largest part of the battle for any homebrewer...and thus, have found that 11 deg over for my strike for a 1.25-1.5 qt per lb ratio works for me.

Back