FOBAB 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So. Saturday.

Anybody got any details on who will be pouring what? The spoilers usually start flowing about now.

Cory King is bringing some Side Project offerings which I'm excited to try. I'm not sure if any Perennial goodies will be there, but I would really hope since they killed it last year (Blueberry Flanders and BA Abraxas).

Pipeworks:
Last Kiss Wee Heavy aged for 9 months in Buffalo Trace barrels
Imperial Jones Dog Milk Stout aged for 10 months in Heaven Hill barrels
Murderous English Style Barley Wine aged for 8 months in Elijah Craig 12 year old barrels

Off Color:
Scurry aged in BCBS barrels (Heaven Hill)

Surly:
Misanthrope and Pentagram

Revolution:
E. Norma Gene, Deth's Tar, & Working Mom

New Holland:
Incorrigible - Sour White Ale
Dragon's Milk Reserve: Smaug's Breath - Bourbon Barrel Stout with roasted chilis.
Night Tripper Reserve: NHAS - Night Tripper aged in New Holland Rum, Bourbon and Whiskey Barrels.

Last edited:
Cory King is bringing some Side Project offerings which I'm excited to try. I'm not sure if any Perennial goodies will be there, but I would really hope since they killed it last year (Blueberry Flanders and BA Abraxas).
I was mad I missed both of those. Kicked before I even realized they were there.

I've assumed that the way Cory speaks of Blueberry Flanders, it is now part of the Side Project portfolio.

Actually just found this:

Sam ‏@Buckfutter12 25 Oct
@SideProjectBrew are you going to be at #fobab ? Would love to get some blueberry Flanders again. Best beer of last year!

Side Project Brewing ‏@SideProjectBrew 25 Oct
@Buckfutter12 I'll be there with Blueberry Flanders. Different batch with different blueberries, but I'm really happy with it!

Talked to Cory at Abraxas Day; said Perennial was bringing La Boheme (I thnk), BA Abraxas, and a third beer.

Side Project was Saison Du Fermier, Blueberry Flanders, and a third beer.

I was obviously only looking to hear BA Abraxas and Blueberry Flanders.

Talked to Cory at Abraxas Day; said Perennial was bringing La Boheme (I thnk), BA Abraxas, and a third beer.

Side Project was Saison Du Fermier, Blueberry Flanders, and a third beer.

I was obviously only looking to hear BA Abraxas and Blueberry Flanders.

Damn it, now I really want to get an imbibe membership so I can get in an hour early

It's been worth it in the past. Now that there's like 450 people in IMBIBE, it's not going to be as much of a free for all as it used to be.

While that is true, I highly doubt that every member will be utilizing this advantage. Half the people I talk to still have no idea what IMBIBE is or what it does. I'm sure there will be a fair amount, much more than last year, but it wont be to the point where it's obnoxious that first hour.

so do brewery's bring x2 of whatever they've got? or am i extra screwed going to session two?

Breweries/Brewpubs are supposed to bring the same amount for each session from what I hear, but I'm not sure if that rule is always followed or if that's even the case.

? for the locals: Is it safe to walk from the Art Center to South Loop Hotel?

from where FOBAB is?
dont do it john thats a hell of a walk more than anything

Yeah, that's pretty far to walk, especially while drunk.

Edit: It might be better to consider taking the 35 St. bus to State Free Shuttle to the Red Line and just walking the State St. portion. I don't know about the safety of this area, but logistically you'd be better off.

Last edited:
Breweries/Brewpubs are supposed to bring the same amount for each session from what I hear, but I'm not sure if that rule is always followed or if that's even the case.
I am pretty sure starting last year breweries had to bring 2 kegs of each beer (1 for each session). Now obviously this doesn't hold true with the bottles, but you would think they would just split the cases up between the 2 sessions.
Again I think, they had issues a couple years ago with running out of beer in the 2nd session because they would just split a keg between the sessions or something like that.

For those not looking to compile Q&A's from Twitter/Facebook or on BA where this was posted:

Illinois Craft Brewers Guild
"Ummm, hotels? Where am I gonna stay for #FoBAB?" Unfortunately, we only had one hotel that supported us this year. Chicago South Loop Hotel has a discount for FoBAB attendees. Next year I promise we will have more. We are currently working with the Illinois Office of Tourism for #CCBW, and we will have many places for you to lay your weary heads. And if you steal shampoo and hand towels, you're welcome.

"Hey, I like to eat food with my barrel-aged beer. What's up?" This year, Goose Island Clybourn will be servicing your catering needs in-house. Also, we will have a handful of food trucks lined up in the main parking lot. Tacos, mac & cheese, pierogies, BBQ, donuts... what else do you crave? Sillies.
"I couldn't find a cab. It was dark. I didn't know how to get home. What gives?" We give!! This year, we will have a shuttle bus running from the Bridgeport Art Center Skyline Loft to the Red Line and Ogilvie Station. Times will be posted on the 16th at the event, but I would bet on two trips between 4 and 5:30PM, and 9 and 10:30PM. The shuttles are FREE, you're welcome! #FoBAB

"Yeah, but what about a cab?? You said CAB!! You lied." No lies!! This year, we have partnered with Uber to get you folks to and from the Midwest's largest barrel-aged festival, #FoBAB!! Click on this link, and have no fear... we will have plenty of taxis on-site, ready to go! https://www.uber.com/go/fobab

Anyone remember how many samples are included with your ticket? Also, price of extra sample tickets?

Canis

are they at all worried about tickets? i know at stoutfest they sure as hell were not

Stoutfest doesn't have tickets. At the beginning of the day they usually are pretty strict about tickets, but as it gears down towards the end it becomes less and less "mandatory".

gotcha so by second session the brewers will have had a few so i'll be fine, doubt i'll need all of mine anyways

EDIT: oops that was the beer under glass that had tickets last year

Yeah, just depends on the person pouring. Some are very strict about taking a ticket and others rarely do. Usually end up getting 4 or 5 pours without giving up a ticket.

In the past it's been $1 per extra ticket. Last year I did not need any extra tickets.

Back