Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattcuso

Reaction score
keg get my first beer about 2 weeks ago. Set the psi the 13 and let it sit. Why am I getting so much foam every glass

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

Probably a balance issue. Sorry, I don't have a link handy, but there are threads on here about balancing your system. Most people suggest at least 10ft. Beer lines. I've had decent success with using 5ft lines though that came with my tower. Basically, I usually leave everything set at about 12 PSI, but then when serving, I drop it down to around 10.

It's pretty critical that the serving pressure and carbonation are equal. Sounds like you have that covered.
Then, you adjust the flow rate by beer line length and diameter. It's standard to run 3/16" line unless you have a really long run, and then you can adjust with bigger diameter.
longer = slower, and shorter = faster.
If it pours too fast it will foam. If it pours too slow, you won't get a head.
If it foams no mater what you do, look for obstruction in the beer supply system or a leaking o-ring at the internal side of the out post.

What is the best line to use?

Use 3/16" hose cut @ 10ft for starters. Cut back as needed if it's coming out too slow for you.

What is the best line to use?

Go ahead and get 12ft of 3/16" for each tap. You can always trim back if needed and beer line is inexpensive.

I run my keezer at 38*F and 12psi. I upgraded my lines from the original 5ft to 12ft figuring that I'd probably end up trimming some of it back. That was several months ago. I'm still using the 12ft lines and getting great pours.

One other possible issue is if you tried to burst carb and hit it a bit too long at higher (30psi) pressure. It takes more time, but a pretty idiot-proof way of carbing is to put a chilled keg on at 11-12psi and leave it alone for 12-14 days.

Is it worth buying the accuflex line?

What temperature is the keg at? Is the beer line fully contained in the fridge you are using? What kind of tap? How long is your line and is it a 3/16" beer line? Did you replace all o rings prior to use? Did you inspect the liquid out dip tube? If it is cracked at the top that can cause co2 to leak into the quick disconnect and get into the beer line.

Lots of reasons it could be foaming, check on some of these and let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll check those out thanks

Prob. Line length issues.

I know it's not an exact science but for me personally I have always used a simple rule of thumb of 1 ft (3/16") of line per lb of pressure. I keep my reg. at 12-13psi, and I get the perfect pour from my perlicks every time. :mug:

Back