Foam while fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ab33842

Reaction score
I am making my first batch of cider using fresh pressed cider (two batches made with commercially made juice). I used 5 gal of juice, 5 crushed campden tabs, brown sugar and a Cote de Blancs yeast, temp at about 70. In my first two batches, the gas lock bubbled in about 2 days, this one did nothing for about 10 days, now I have foam in the carboy and some bubbling in the gas lock. Is this normal?
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410585502.778787.jpg

looks just like mine but I had lots of activity 2nd day started mine on the 8th still foam but not as much I hope nothing wrong with it:ban: hang in there with it

Looks fine, the pectin and starches you have from having your cider fresh pressed are probably helping keeping that "head" for longer than normal. It should go away once fermentation slows down.

Update: a couple days later and now this. Gas lock is bubbling about once every 1.5 seconds. So it's active apparently! Just gonna wait out the primary I guess, unless someone says otherwise?ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410760680.432349.jpg

Mine is still doing the same thing and I'm on Day 10. Used S-04.

This has taken a lot longer for the yeast to drop than I'd have imagined. Krausen fell after Day 2.

Through many batches of cider, I never used yeast nutrient or energizer. How could I have been so foolish? I pitched @65*F, and 8 hours later already had krausen on top. I put it into my 59*F fermenter, and 12 hours after that, it sounded like an automatic weapon. For another 48 hours, the airlock was super busy. I have never had an airlock that busy, especially at 59*F. YMMV

Back