Foam Insulation in Tower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkade

Reaction score
So I'm about to set up my first kegerator, and I don't really want to mess around with a fan, especially since stainless steel loses heat so quickly that it seems really inefficient anyways (making the fridge waste more energy). The insulation it comes with is pretty weak, so I was wondering if anyone has sprayed the inside of their tower with foam insulation? I think it's pretty safe to say I won't be trying to disconnect the lines from the tower since it seems like it'd be impossible to reconnect them, and when I want a longer line for more highly carbonated beer, I just plan on using simple hose adapters further down the line. Any thoughts or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

I came across a tower at the dump once and took it apart to salvage the tap handles and such. In the process I saw that the entire inside was insulated with what appeared to be that expanding foam insulation. I think it is the standard when it comes to tower insulation.
mark
Beer Diary...

When I made mine, I looked at several posts here and then made a plan.
Tower, 1" Copper pipe (in which the beer lines go) and 24" long. I then snaked the lines through and then put Pipe insulation (ready made tubes) around the coper pipe to insulate and hold the pipe in place. Works great the Tower isn't really cold to the touch what so ever, but the beer is cold from the first pour! And No fan.

Take a look at some of the pictures and you will see what I'm talking about.

Cheers

Back