Foam from mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lycan

Reaction score
So I did my first all grain yesterday and when I drained the wort out it was foaming up in my boil pot. Does anyone know why or is this normal? I use a Home Depot 10 gal cooler with cpvc manifold. Thanks

Was it splashing into the brew pot or did you have a tube run all the way to the bottom of the brew pot?

If it was splashing the foam is aeration of the wort. If you believe that hot side aeration is bad for homebrew you should run a high temp house to the bottom of the brew pot so that there is no splashing.

If you are running a hose and minimizing splashing my guess would be that you were stirring the mash vigorously got a lot of air dissolved into it and it is coming out of solution when draining.

Did you use any cleaners on the mash tun that might have foamed (soap in particular)? I use exactly 3 things on my mash tun. Water, star San, and PBW/OBW no scrubbing, no household cleaners.

It was splashing in the pot. I didn't use a hose. I don't know if its bad to have aeration in the wort before the boil. Thanks for the quick reply!

I just switched to AG too and had this problem, both due to vigorously stirring a few times during the mash, and then also not having a hose when draining.

I'm on my 3rd batch and I've since used a hose and stopped stirring so strong and the foaming is much less.

However I'm not entirely sure hot side aeration is a problem, many homebrewers say it is not. I did some searching and couldn't really find a good answer. I'll just have to see how the beer turns out! :D

Back