Foam control being sucked down vortex on stir plate!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smaro

Reaction score
I have a 2L starter filled up to 1600mL that's been on the stir plate for about 24 hours with a nice 2 inch high krausen on top.

I decided to experiment and dropped a single drop of foam control on top. Within 5 minutes the foam dropped completely to where the surface of the wort was foamless except for a little chunk in the middle.. at this point the vortex formed again (as it did before krausening up), and the chunk began spinning (the krausen was not spinning before since it was too thick). After getting all jolly about how amazing the foam control worked I did a little dance and walked away.

I returned about 10-15 minutes later to find that a new half-inch or so of new krausen had reformed. Is it possible the foam control got sucked down the vortex and became ineffective as a result?

The way I understand how foam control works had something to do with how a thin surface layer forms.. so I'm wondering if after if formed if maybe the vortex prevented this surface layer form staying put. Any ideas?

Back