Foam at tap and in the line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinHickey

Reaction score
Hellos. Force carbed my beer in the keg. Poured great after a week. the next day i poured it it came out foamy and beer was obviously flat. also, foam is in the line up to the tap. I know this is either that the beer is over carbed or that the co2 didnt have enough time to seep into the beer.

Any idea which one? if it just wasnt enough time, how come it poured fine for a while and then now its all foam?

Sounds over carbed to me. Take the CO2 off and bleed it. Then bleed it every day for a few days until the pressure build up is minimal. Then hook your CO2 back up at serving pressure.

approximately 38 degrees at 12 psi for a week. used the set and forget method and according to the chart i would have about 2.5 volumes of co2 in the keg. 3/8 hose about 6 feet to the tap. was serving at the same 12 psi. dropped it down a bit but still foamed. its weird, when I looked at the line to the tap there was foam in the line at the connection to the tap. ??? it doesnt seem like it is over carbed because 2.5 volumes is not even close to over carbed. and it doesnt seem like it needs more time to absorb co2 because it was fine the day before. Thats why I'm not sure how to proceed.

Your line is too big. You don't have enough restriction in your line to keep your CO2 in solution. Change your 3/8 tubing to 3/16 about the same length and see if that helps.

I was mistaken. My line size is 3/16. wish it was but thats not the issue. any other ideas ?

Did you shake the keg? Have you lowered the psi from 12(that will cause foaming). It will NOT be carbed after a week if you didn't shake or use excessively high psi's. Also 2.5 volumes is carbed or over for most styles. Is it a wheat? What are you shooting for?

Back