Flying Dog Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyeary90

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this brewery and wanted to get some thoughts. I first tried their Snake Dog IPA about a week ago, and it was phenomenal! It had a really nice hoppy aroma, and had a really nice piney bittersweetness to it. However, today I cracked open a bottle of their Woody Creek White, and I must say I was rather disappointed. It had a pretty foul smell, and tasted bad (I really hope this mixed pack I bought isn't expired). Is it just me, or is their Belgian White not that great?

EDIT: I've only tried those two, I still need to try all the other different kinds in the box

I have had the belgian white before. I don't recall it being phenomenal or completely horrible either. It just wasn't memorable.

I love flying dog though. Don't let this discourage you from trying their other beers. I have enjoyed all of their beers. If I am looking to try a style that I'm not familiar with I usually start with them if they have a beer in that style since I generally am pretty pleased with the beers they put out.

I am a geek for the Double Dog and am fond of the Raging B1tch. I expected more "Belgian" flair from the latter and it's just not there.

The rest of their beers have just been meh.

I have had a couple of them. Overall I was very disappointed, but the Porter was decent. Everything else was meh or below.

I think their Marzen is pretty much always a slam dunk. As is their Gonzo in each of the incarnations. I was happy with the Biere de Garde as well.

The "workhorse" beers are average, pretty much.

There have been a couple strike-outs lately, particularly Raging ***** and that winter lager they did... But I expect it from experimental batches.

My greatest joy has been hitting their tasting room... until recently. Due to lawyers and cross-state issues (referring to the facility in Maryland), their tasting room policies have been strictly "leashed"... pun intended. Alas.

I think their Marzen is pretty much always a slam dunk. As is their Gonzo in each of the incarnations. I was happy with the Biere de Garde as well.

The "workhorse" beers are average, pretty much.

There have been a couple strike-outs lately, particularly Raging ***** and that winter lager they did... But I expect it from experimental batches.

My greatest joy has been hitting their tasting room... until recently. Due to lawyers and cross-state issues (referring to the facility in Maryland), their tasting room policies have been strictly "leashed"... pun intended. Alas.

Really? What changed? Last time i was there, it was pretty much all you could drink? Did they stop doing this? I'm going down to Frederick next week which is why i ask.

Not a fan of flying dog beers. I believe one of the founders also founded stranahans whiskey. I really like Stranahans whiskey.

On a side note something about Flying Dogs branding is just not appealing and I am a Hunter S Thompson fan. Maybe if the beer was better I would like it.

I have to respectfully disagree. Some of their beers are sub par yes, but for the most part I enjoy all of them. Snake dog was my first ever IPA, so maybe i am a little partial to it... The double dog IPA is just fantastic. Their gonzo porter is amazing. But my favorite is probably the Horn Dog Barley Wine. Anything they make in a 4 pack I have never been disappointed with. Maybe it is because my state is pretty prehistoric on beer laws(just passed a law last year that allowed beers over 4%abv) But i really enjoy most of their beers. But they are not the best brewery in Colorado. I would have to give that title to Great Divide...

I have mixed feelings about this brewery and wanted to get some thoughts. I first tried their Snake Dog IPA about a week ago, and it was phenomenal! It had a really nice hoppy aroma, and had a really nice piney bittersweetness to it. However, today I cracked open a bottle of their Woody Creek White, and I must say I was rather disappointed. It had a pretty foul smell, and tasted bad (I really hope this mixed pack I bought isn't expired). Is it just me, or is their Belgian White not that great?

EDIT: I've only tried those two, I still need to try all the other different kinds in the box

Hah, I bet that's from at least summer. I got their mixed pack last summer with that in it. From what I remember, it was ok. Most of their beers are pretty good, nothing amazing, but better than decent. Gonzo is awesome though. At my store we've had the mixed pack without the white since at least september. Now it has, IPA, PA, Hefe, Porter, Golden, and Amber. It's an enjoyable mix pack for the price.

It is cool how they do the mash for Stranahans Whiskey and pipe it over to their building.

Yea their Hefe is ok at best. This past batch is carbonated as hell. I poured it slow down the side of a glass and got maybe an inch of beer, rest was head.

I have to respectfully disagree. Some of their beers are sub par yes, but for the most part I enjoy all of them. Snake dog was my first ever IPA, so maybe i am a little partial to it... The double dog IPA is just fantastic. Their gonzo porter is amazing. But my favorite is probably the Horn Dog Barley Wine. Anything they make in a 4 pack I have never been disappointed with. Maybe it is because my state is pretty prehistoric on beer laws(just passed a law last year that allowed beers over 4%abv) But i really enjoy most of their beers. But they are not the best brewery in Colorado. I would have to give that title to Great Divide...

Snake Dog IPA and Gonzo Porter are indeed my favorites from Flying Dog. That being said, Great Divide IPA is better than Snake Dog. Belgiun Brewing Company is out of Colorado as well arent they? I enjoyed some of there beers when I was in Wyoming last year.

Some are good, some are okay, but I think Raging ***** is fantastic and their best current offering.

If anyone has a recipe for their Old Scratch, I'd appreciate it. I've never had it, and a friend of mine has pleaded with me to brew this.

Really? What changed? Last time i was there, it was pretty much all you could drink? Did they stop doing this? I'm going down to Frederick next week which is why i ask.

now they give you like 6 bottle caps and you get a taster for each one. I think i tried 12 last (and only) time I was there, and nothing was notable. wasnt bad, just not good either.

flying dog and new belgium are my favorite all around breweries. they really don't have a beer i don't like. the flying dog mix pack was a mainstay at my house all throughout 2009. and since then, i've seen the mix pack pop up exponentially from other craft breweries... more power to that, because I'm a variety man. i'll never just drink the same beer all night.

i actually brewed the AHS snake bite IPA Clone.. while it didn't taste like snake bite, it is very tasty with tons of aroma (surely from the dry hop)

and yes new belgium is in ft. collins, and flying dog moved to MD several years ago.

Just tried Flying Dog's Dogtoberfest this week, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I've no experience with the others, though.

I really enjoy Flying Dog. I really can't find a beer they make that I don't like. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers, but I'll drink their Hefeweizen. I got into them when I lived in Northern VA, I would always pick up their variety case or six packs of Snake Dog from the grocery store. Most of the stuff is easy to find in Pittsburgh if you know where to look. I have yet to find a beer that I like better than Snake Dog IPA. About two months ago one of our local bars had their Raging ***** on tap - it lasted one night :)

I thought the Canis Major series were all really good, but the rest of them for the most part are so-so. And Tire Bite was just gross.

I like their beers. Their tasting room is nice too. Didn't know about the limits. I like Gonzo a lot and they have another porter or stout that I also like. Snake Dog is another that I like. Go ahead, leave it for me!

I've only had their In the Heat Wheat and it is one of my faves so I don't know why i havn't tried any of their other stuff.

I find their beers to be "meh." That's not bad, or great. Decent beer, but there's nothing there to "wow" you. I drink it.

To each his/her own but Odell's >>>>> Great Divide and Flying Dog, combined ;)

The wife is a big fan on their In Heat Wheat though.

Got to say the wheat was take it or leave it for me, but the gonzo imp porter is awesome! Also love the barley wine and snake dog ipa. Their pale ale was one of my first "real" beers back in the day and I still like to grab a 6er of it on occasion.
The gonzo is prob my favorite. Raging ***** is pretty high up there as well. Hope that one finds a place in their normal brewing rotation.

i really like the raging ***** on tap.
its good in bottles, but not as good to me.

everything else that i've tasted from them is good, not great, but good

This thread made me realize if in the heat wheat is a fave of mine I need to try there other stuff. Picked up their variety 12 pack this weekend.

Back