Flying bottle cap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes2xu

Reaction score
I opened another bottle of my latest brew today and got a surprise. A bottle cap to the teeth and a very loud POP! It was going fast enough to hurt like mad.

I looked down expecting to see a gusher, but to my surprise just a normally carbonated beer. Completely consistent with the rest of the batch.

So in my very limited experience I would expect a beer cap to act like a champaign cork if it was over carbonated ( infection or to much primer) or on the way to being over carbonated ( lots of gas but not yet carbed so no gusher), but it's been in the bottle for 6weeks now!

Any one have any ideas on what's going on here? This is purely for interests sake.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Your yeast has decided to mutiny and built a bottle cap-ipult. Box those beers up immediately and send to me for proper disposal.

sorry obligatory answer. What kind of bottle opener did you use? Was it harder to open than normal?

Your yeast has decided to mutiny and built a bottle cap-ipult. Box those beers up immediately and send to me for proper disposal.

sorry obligatory answer. What kind of bottle opener did you use? Was it harder to open than normal?

Baaaaahahahahaha that was awesome!

No opener just a spoon. No opener in site, but I open beer regularly with random objects and have yet to have this happen! Nope in fact it was supper easy! Just touched it and off she went.

Hmmmm only about 2-3 hrs to be honest.

That probably has something to do with it. I haven't personally performed controlled laboratory experiments, conducted extensive field research, and completed a comprehensive review of all available scientific data, but I've read that you should refrigerate beer for at least a couple of days after bottle conditioning, to allow the CO2 time to absorb into the beer.

[Please God don't let the 'YOU HAVE NO PROOF' PC Police find my hardened bunker....] :eek:

That probably has something to do with it. I haven't personally performed controlled laboratory experiments, conducted extensive field research, and completed a comprehensive review of all available scientific data, but I've read that you should refrigerate beer for at least a couple of days after bottle conditioning, to allow the CO2 time to absorb into the beer.

[Please God don't let the 'YOU HAVE NO PROOF' PC Police find my hardened bunker....] :eek:

Time to break out the lab coat then :)
But good point! I have noticed that my beer is much more enjoyable after it has been cold for a few days. What's going on there to make that the case?

Beer absorbs CO2 easier when cold. That is to say, a larger amount of the remaining CO2 in the headspace will have been absorbed if it's been in the fridge a couple days before opening. This could help in relieving that pressure that hit you in the tooth :)

True. Cold liquids will allow CO2 to absorb much better. You also want to chill bottle conditioned beers 24 hours or more before drinking to help the yeast sediment crash back out of suspension and compact (cold makes it stick together real nice). I have had beers gush when opened warmish and be perfect when chilled.

Back