American IPA Flyging Dog BloodLine Clone – Blood Orange IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebecker8

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
~1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68
Tasting Notes
Blood Orange and Citrus
Alright Everyone! This is my first attempt at making my own 'recipe' even though it came with recommendations from FlyingDog themselves. I sent them an email and they were awesome enough to get back to me with a general 'recipe'.

Grain:
13 Pounds 2 Row
1 Pounds 20L
1.5 Pound Flaked Wheat

Hops:
1 Oz Galaxy – 60 Min
.5 Oz Citra – 15 Min
.5 Oz Citra – 5 Min
1.5 Oz Citra – 0 Min/Whirlpool
1.5 Oz Citra – Dryhop
1 Oz Galaxy – Dryhop

Mash:
Normal mash

Extras:
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining – 15 Minutes
1.5 Oz Orange Peel with Dry Hop
2.5 cups of Blood Orange Juice @ 1.016 FG

Their email is below:

Here are some tips for brewing Bloodline at home:

Grist- anything light that accentuates the fruit and hops. Use mainly base malt, with a little wheat and a 1-2% caramel malt addition for color.

Hops- We use Citra and Galaxy in Bloodline. Citra is added near the end of the boil and in the whirlpool. Citra and Galaxy are both added for the dry hop at about 1lb per bbl. Use anything you have that will lend clean bittering.

Yeast-any clean fermenting ale strain, 1056 is a good one.

We shoot for around 40 BUs on this beer with an ABV of 7%

As far as the blood orange, we add blood orange juice when the beer reaches 4 Plato, or roughly 1.016 specific gravity. We also add blood orange peels to the dry hop at half a pound per bbl. we add the blood orange juice at 1 gallon per bbl.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,

Ben Clark
Head Brewer

Let me know if you have any suggestions on the recipe! I will be brewing this bad boy this weekend!

I also love this beer! Really cool they gave you pretty good information on how they brew it. Did you try your recipe posted here? I'm curious to know how it turned out if you did.

Zomanb

My 2 cents, with respect: I would use WAY more hops. I honestly don't think you'll come close to a hoppy beer with less than 10oz total. Cut that crystal in half. Use magnums for your bittering hop. There's no reason to use an awesome/pricey hop like Galaxy for bittering. Any unique flavor they bring will be long gone after boiling for 60 min. Also my personal opinion I would use malted and not flaked wheat. White or red. And add the whirlfloc with less than 10 min left. Once again.... just my opinion. Take it or leave it. Cheers.

Sorry for never getting back to this! I did brew it based off the recipe i posted (guided by the recipe they gave me) and i thought it came out absolutely amazing.

The only change I would do is to add more orange. I'm waiting for blood oranges to be cheap again and I plan on making two more 5 gallon batches of this; maybe changing one or two things between the two.

I killed the keg of this in about 9 days :cross:

By my math that's approximately 20 oz of blood orange juice. Is this the amount you used? And I'm assuming you racked onto the juice in a secondary.

I didn't actually buy 'blood orange juice' but instead bought a bag of ~20 blood oranges for $4-5 at Wal-Mart. I peeled them and tossed them (i forget how many, not the whole bag) into a food processor (Ninja kicks ass!). It ended up being rougly 2 to 2.5 cups (I think thats 20 oz) that i puree'd. Kept adding until i hit my goal. I would probably go closer to 3 cups for a 5 gallon batch. I'm not sure if using pureed oranges is not as strong of a concentrate as the juice.

And yes, secondary. I did not boil, sanitize or do anything to the oranges. They definitely reactivated the fermentation a bit - had that strong sulfur smell for 2 days after introducing. Didn't impart any off flavors, just 'blood orange'.

Bloodline has quickly become one of our favorites. I just picked up 2 6packs for the weekend.
I don't do all grain yet, but would like to make it. Is there a way to convert the recipe to extract?
I do have a Belgian Dubbel that I zested several oranges into, getting kegged this week. (hoping to be close).

This recipe wasn't as much as a way to get 'my recipe' out to people but more as a way to get 'FlyingDogs advice/information/guidance' out to everyone!

Unfortunately, I don't know the AG to Extract conversions but hopefully someone else can help you out! You could always plug my recipe (or your own variation) into beersmith and convert.

I feel like there is some rye in there too, but how much, I haven't a clue. A pound of crystal seems like a lot, but I'd just adjust to make it 2% of the grist.

If you're looking to convert to extract or partial mash, use light DME to get you to your necessary gravity. You can include wheat DME instead of trying to steep a wheat malt. Steep the crystal as normal. I do partial mash BIAB, so I might have a recipe conversion one of these days...whenever I can get around to brewing it.

I think partial mash would look something like this:

4 lbs light DME
1 lb wheat DME
4.5 lbs 2-row
.25 lbs Crystal 40
.25 lbs rye malt

1 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
.5 oz Citra (15 mins)
.5 oz Citra (2 mins)
1.5 oz Citra (flameout)
1.5 oz Citra (dry hop)
1 oz Galaxy (dry hop)

It's just slightly less than 7%, but once you add the fruit juice, it'll all work out.

This recipe looks like a great start. Awesome that they are so open about sharing with homebrewers. A few tweaks I might recommend based on their website: it says they use rye as a specialty malt, so I would definitely include some nominal percentage of rye to the grist. They also list Northern Brewer as a hop in addition to galaxy and citra, so I would use the NB as a bitter hop and then galaxy/citra combos as flavor and dry hops.

Back