Fly Sparge - Run Dry or Keep Fluid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you fly sparge and what efficiency is the norm?

• I run my tun dry and I get less than 80 % efficiency

• I run my tun dry and I get more than 80 % efficiency

• I keep the bed fluid throughout and get less than 80 % efficiency

• I keep the bed fluid throughout and get more than 80 % efficiency

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware there are two different ways to fly sparge. Both start with adding enough sparge (or mashout) water to get about 1-2" of liquid over the grainbed. At that point you start running wort out and adding sparge back in to keep the level constant. Where the difference occurs is the following:

1. You specifically measure out your sparge volume so that when the tun runs completely dry, you have your preboil volume exactly. I'd call this a type of hybrid fly/batch sparge.

2. You continue adding sparge water all the way through and just stop collecting when you hit your desired preboil volume (or you hit 2-3 brix on the runoff whichever comes first). I THINK this is the more traditional, "true" way to fly sparge.

Anyway... hit up the poll, let's see what's what.

Hmmm, I run it dry and have gotten up to 92% brewhouse efficiency but I have deliberately lowered my efficiency to 78%-80% (I just kept reducing the amount of sparge water until I was at ~78%-80%). So I get less than 80% but it's because I'm trying to get less than 80%.

Clarifier: with my new Blichmann I never tried getting efficiency that high, the 92% was with a Zapap bucket-in-a-bucket lauter tun and lading everything with a saucepot.

I usually get down to 2 - 3 brix before I have collected the required volume. I just make up the volume with the unused sparge water. When this happens, I keep the water above the grain bed. Occasionally, this doesn't happen, and I allow the grain bed to dry out a bit after I know I have enough water in the MLT to reach the required volume.
I haven't noticed any difference in efficiency or taste.

-a.

I run it dry, and usually run right around 80%. I will calculate to have about 6.5-6.75 gallons preboil volume. I was thinking about building a 3 tier stand and run a sparge arm, which I am sure will change my efficiency%. I would vote, but there are two answers that are correct.

I use a 5 gallon beverage cooler with a copper manifold, so there's not a large surface area. I'll let the water get a little below the grain bed and then add about a gallon of sparge water above the grain. I do that with a 3/8" hose from the HLT, no sprayer or any type of diffuser. Put the cover back on and when I've collect a gallon of wort, I'll add another gallon back into the mash tun. That gets me 85-92%, depending on the type of mash.

I do not run it dry but have only hit 85% or better once. I am questioning my preboil volume measurements and I want to run-off to around 1-2 Plato. I either forget to check or rush it.

The reason I like continuous sparging is so I don't have to worry so much about sparge volumes (and I have a way to do it as quick as a double batch sparge with no loss in efficiency). I just heat up more water than I need and sparge until I hit my preboil volume. I usually stop the sparge water flow when my volume is getting close and it takes the wort/water in the mash tun below the top of the grain bed, but it doesn't go completely dry.

I typically get 88 to 91% efficiency depending on the beer. One issue I have had is that my attenuation is sometimes a percent or two lower than I would like it. I've adjusted my mash temps lower to compensate for this and have had some success, but one of my suspicions was that I was getting a less fermentable wort by doing a direct-heat mash-out, i.e., heating the mash [relatively] slowly through the alpha-amylase range.

After doing a hot water infusion to mash-out on my last batch (to test the theory), I got my worst efficiency ever (83%) and the attenuation was around the same (or slightly worse) than when I did a direct-heat mash-out. So, I'm going to go back to direct-heat mash-outs.

Back