Fly sparge equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumer0

Reaction score
Getting back into brewing after a 7 years hiatus. Brewed 2nd batch today in a month and ran into a stuck sparge. I've always batch sparged due to the $ I put into my single tiered RIMMS system. I was broke by the time I got to brewing. But now that I'm back at it, I might as well throw some money at it and move up to a fly sparge.

Northern brewer has 1 (really 2) sparge arm. What do you all use?

2nd question, I have a March pump (of some kind). What's the go to pump nowadays, now that I may need a 2nd pump for the sparge?

Thanks, folks. I'm only asking bc my searches on here for recent info came up with nothing relevant.

By my observation, very few people are fly sparging nowadays. A lot more people are going with the vastly more simple Brew In A Bag (BIAB), depending on your preferred batch size. If you have any doubts about whether this method makes good beer, a stampede of BIABers could easily chime in.

Batch sparging certainly works well too, and can also be used with the BIAB method.

On the other hand, many people with more interest in making improvements are going toward low oxygen brewing (new within the last 7 years), which certainly excludes fly sparging. Actively avoiding oxygen exposure in both hot and cold sides enables the preservation of fresh malt flavor as well as many other flavor and longevity benefits.
Personally I'm running a low-oxygen 2-vessel RIMS, no sparge. Still working out the kinks in my process.

The "MkII" is a great pump and relatively inexpensive. You'll want to get the stainless steel head. If you have a higher budget I might suggest you consider the Riptide, which has a bit more power, linear flow valve, and disassembles a little more easily ... but more than double the cost.

Wow. So much information in your post. Thank you for taking time to share so much in one post!

I'm glad I haven't bought anything yet. Upon my very brief read to low oxygen brewing, I'm definitely intrigued.

Yes, MKII is what I have. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Thank you!!

On the other hand, many people with more interest in making improvements are going toward low oxygen brewing (new within the last 7 years), which certainly excludes fly sparging.

I brew low oxygen, and I sparge. Applying all the knowledge now available, there is no reason any system can't be adapted to low oxygen brewing. Sparging offers many advantages (and in the view of some homebrewers, inconveniences.) Anyone can optimize their system to suit their needs and preferences.

I have recently gone to a Unibrau system. Electric recirculating BIAB. Before that I did batch sparges. I never could get excited about fly sparging. It just seemed like a lot of trouble for a very little gain.

I started with batch sparging then went to BIAB and more recently bought a system better suited to fly sparging and after doing that for the past year and a half I'm of a mind to go back to batch sparging.

As for pumps I do love my Blichmann Rip Tide pumps. Quiet, easy to prime and the flow control valves give you more control over... well... the flow.

It all boils down to the process you feel comfortable with.

I brew low oxygen, and I sparge. Applying all the knowledge now available, there is no reason any system can't be adapted to low oxygen brewing. Sparging offers many advantages (and in the view of some homebrewers, inconveniences.) Anyone can optimize their system to suit their needs and preferences.
^This is all true. The choices of gear and process make the difference.
Most homebrewing fly sparge systems I've seen sprinkle or spray the water. That is specifically what I was saying should be avoided (if you wanted to try low oxygen). :)

^This is all true. The choices of gear and process make the difference.
Most homebrewing fly sparge systems I've seen sprinkle or spray the water. That is specifically what I was saying should be avoided (if you wanted to try low oxygen). :)

LoDo still cracks me up, even though i don't practice it...now i'm thinking of keeping the lid on my MT and flushing it with nitrogen.....just have to drill a hole for the sparge arm...maybe another for the nitrogen port....hmmmm :)

I think you're kidding but it's hard to tell.

This measure alone wouldn't help.

come on now, you know i'm not even old enough to drink! lol, i was just thinking if fly sparging is bad for lodo, i could leave the lid on my MT and flush with nitrogen...

wouldn't that be as effective as one of those foam insulator disc the lodo people they say they put over their mash? ;)

Use a good false bottom, and make sure the return tube delivers the wort or sparge water into the mash tun below the surface of the fluid and does not stir air into solution. Two pumps will be needed for a single tier, but if you can elevate your hlt then you could get away with one pump. I use a chugger pump for wort, and a cheap DC pump for water. I personally like a gravity set up for fly sparging as I feel that I have had better flow control vs using two pumps.

Most brewing methods will yield fairly similar results if you have the time to experience them and fine tune the process. I went fly sparge because at the time I felt it would squeeze the highest efficiency put of the brew day, but over years if brewing I care less and less about that high end efficiency numbers and more about what is easily repeatable. Cash is king in economics but consistency is clutch for brewing imo.

I spend my time money and efforts in improving lodo techniques as they have given the best results in quality returns for me. Ymmv

Getting back into brewing after a 7 years hiatus. Brewed 2nd batch today in a month and ran into a stuck sparge. I've always batch sparged due to the $ I put into my single tiered RIMMS system. I was broke by the time I got to brewing. But now that I'm back at it, I might as well throw some money at it and move up to a fly sparge.

Northern brewer has 1 (really 2) sparge arm. What do you all use?

2nd question, I have a March pump (of some kind). What's the go to pump nowadays, now that I may need a 2nd pump for the sparge?

Thanks, folks. I'm only asking bc my searches on here for recent info came up with nothing relevant.
I'm just back from a seven-year hiatus as well.
My March pump still works a-OK. I guess I'll replace it if it dies. I got it from movingbrews.com, which dates it and me.
I've always been super concerned about oxygen on the hot side. I fly sparge and recirculate, when I do so, through a "No Splash Thingy," of which I recall stealing the idea from Zymie's personal website (of Zymico and the Bazooka screen fame) 18 or so years ago. Basically, it's four elbows pointing up, under the liquid level in the mash run.
It's been my experience that it takes long enough for boil to start that there's plenty of time to finish fly sparging-I start heating as soon as there's about a gallon in the kettle. I used to hit 90% efficiency like clockwork, I'm working on it now. :)

I've always been super concerned about oxygen on the hot side.
The wort will be completely oxidized unless you go through steps to actively remove oxygen and prevent it from interacting with the grain the wort.

We've had some guys figure this all out within the last several years. One in particular is the low oxygen expert, and here's his website:
http://www.********************/

Cheers

sparging with a hose onto a couple inch maintain bed of liquid on the grain bed has to be better as far as less oxidation goes vs sprinkling and rapid aeration/ oxidation with a sparge arm. Especially for those who are recirculating wort using that same sprinkling sparge arm. I just dont get why people do it that way.

sparging with a hose onto a couple inch maintain bed of liquid on the grain bed has to be better as far as less oxidation goes vs sprinkling and rapid aeration/ oxidation with a sparge arm. Especially for those who are recirculating wort using that same sprinkling sparge arm. I just dont get why people do it that way.
I think they think it looks "nifty." I don't know otherwise.

I recirculate and sparge through a Lockline. It is adjustable without all the oxidation. I have a 3V HERMS w my MT being a 120qt Coleman cooler. The bubbling spray manifold I used to have mounted to the lid did look cool.

Back