flowers in brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducker_brew

Reaction score
Anyone here use flowers in their beers? if so, which ones? i've heard dandelions make good, er, ok, wine and apparently you can use them to make jam with as well. thoughts here?

Hibiscus is a pretty popular ingredient around these parts (Florida). It provides a refreshing tartness.

Violets work in a delicate beer. But the season here has passed. (you need to harvest a bunch.)

There is a traditional scottish beer that uses heather. I made it once but that was some time ago, and I have no memory except that I made it.

Rose Ive seen used. It can quickly make the beer taste like old lady perfume. Careful.

Anyone here use flowers in their beers? if so, which ones? i've heard dandelions make good, er, ok, wine and apparently you can use them to make jam with as well. thoughts here?

I recently made a Lavender IPA. I was nervous about it as I have never tried lavender before and there's not a lot of information out there about it when it comes to brewing. I ended up using 2 Tbsp of dried lavender flowers in the secondary for 7 days. I boiled the lavender in a cup (or less) of water in the microwave first to sanitize and dumped it all into the secondary with an ounce of Mosaic hops before racking the beer in from the primary. There is a detectable amount of lavender in the aroma and flavor. I think it's just right.

I would recommend starting with a low amount in the secondary, tasting, and then adding more, if necessary, and letting it set longer. Repeat this as needed. It might take more time, but adding more and waiting is way better than starting with too much and ending up with a bad batch! For example, too much lavender and my beer would have like disgusting soap and been undrinkable! ;)

Quick note if you decide to try a dandelion brew. Avoid getting the greens into the beer, they're very bitter, unless of course you're feeling brave enough to sub some hops for them.

Had a tea made from culinary sage flowers, flavor was floral, herbal, and a little earthy. Very mild though. Thinking of using it down the road.

thanks everyone. questions about putting stuff like this in the secondary. we just put some cantaloupe in a kolsch yesterday but i was not concerned in that we used only the fruit and did everything in as sterile environment. would adding dandelion buds create an infection hazard?

Jasmine IPA?

Its based off Elysian Brewing's Avatar Jasmine IPA...

11.0 lb 89 % 2-Row (US)
0.75 lb 6 % Cara 45L (BE)
0.5 lb 4 % Munich - Light 10L (US)
1.5 oz Northern Brewer (US) 90 min
1.5 oz Glacier (US) 2 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (US) 0 min
1.5 each dried jasmine 10.0 min
0.5 each dried jasmine 0.0 min
US-05

I recently brewed an abbey style ale with rose hips and natural rose extract. Da wife thought the flavor would be absolutely disgusting or over powering. I had her try it after bottle conditioning it for a month and she was surprised at how good it tasted.

Another fun flower that would give the brew a peppery flavor is nasturtium. I'm thinking a Belgian with some lemon undertones might be a great beer for a hot summer day. I'd try making a tincture with the nasturtium and add it right before bottling or kegging.

I frequently use Chamomile flowers in my Belgians. Specifically in the lighter ones. Like a Wit. I just did a Belgian Pale with Chamomile that did fairly well in a local competition.

German chamomile. Great in a wheat beer. Here's a link if you're interested: Honey & Chamomile Wheat

Chamomile.JPG

Back