flower hops and a new kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herman2011

Reaction score
I have been using flower hops in my 10gal Polarware kettle with a false bottom to keep the flowers separated from the outlet at the bottom of the kettle. Works great. Now I'm thinking about getting a 15gal kettle and have been looking at Stout kettles. The philosophy with those kettles is to use the whirlpool, which I'm sure works great with pelettes but I suspect will not work so well with flowers because they take up so much more space (i.e. not sure they will completely form a cone in the middle of the kettle. I don't like the idea of using mesh bags because that kind of seems like going backwards from my current setup... and I'm trying to move towards techniques used in larger systems. Are mesh-bags really the common approach with flowers an a kettle without a false-bottom (but has whirlpool capability with the tangential inlet)?

Latest posts

Back