Flour beetles during mash -- Continue or discard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weevil Knievel rides brews again!

iu-41.jpeg

There are bugs in most everything you eat. The USDA regulations for unacceptable foreign material (bug, dirt, feces, etc) content are surprisingly high. You will be fine.

You brewed it, you drink it, you keep your mouth shut when sharing it.
this has been my favorite post on this, thanks Rufus! 😭

I would never serve it to guests.
But why not? As mentioned, commercial and large craft breweries make and sell the beer and it's all good. They are mashed, boiled, fermented and fined out of the final product. They're not dangerous to consume, nor uncommon. I think we consume a lot of insect bits and bobs without even knowing it. Mass scale production simply doesn't allow that fine control.

But why not?
Regarding the scenario in the OP, I can think of only one person--out of all the people I know who I've shared beer with--who wouldn't care. I would be obligated to tell them since it's how I would expect to be treated. Someone accidentally drops a dirty diaper into the chicken stock, but only for a second? I want to know and I don't care that it turns out to be harmless.
I'm aware of the realities regarding mass food production--not too pretty. I sometimes wonder how much cat hair I've consumed over the last decade despite removing any strands I see from my food.
A reasonable effort is expected to not let debris get into the beer so I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Regarding the scenario in the OP, I can think of only one person--out of all the people I know who I've shared beer with--who wouldn't care. I would be obligated to tell them since it's how I would expect to be treated. Someone accidentally drops a dirty diaper into the chicken stock, but only for a second? I want to know and I don't care that it turns out to be harmless.
I'm aware of the realities regarding mass food production--not too pretty. I sometimes wonder how much cat hair I've consumed over the last decade despite removing any strands I see from my food.
A reasonable effort is expected to not let debris get into the beer so I guess it's a matter of perspective.
I can respect that. I think I differ from you (there's a difference between a dirty diaper and a weevil to me), but I respect your opinion on it.

So a disclaimer - anyone drinking beer I made, there's a 99% chance you've consumed at least part weevil :p

Back