Florida's Funky Buddha bought by Constellation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewwiccc

Reaction score
http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release...dha-joins-constellation-brands-20170810-00754

Constellation Strengthens its Position in High-End Beer
VICTOR, N.Y., Aug. 10, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Constellation Brands, Inc. (NYSE:STZ) (NYSE:STZ.B), a leading beverage alcohol company, announced today its purchase of Florida-based Funky Buddha Brewery, reinforcing its strategy to lead the high-end beer segment in the United States. Funky Buddha is the fastest growing craft brewery in Florida, and produces bold craft beers made with high quality ingredients. It has an award-winning portfolio led by Floridian Hefeweizen and Hop Gun IPA. Funky Buddha joins Constellation's Craft & Specialty Beer Group in the beer division.

Least surprising craft acquisition ever. We already have too many adjuncted to crap FB bombers turding everywhere, can't wait for the entire east coast to enjoy them.

*I still like MBCP and Last Snow is doses after upscaling but it's getting worse each batch.

giphy.gif

What if all of constellation bans him and he spends the rest of his days trying to sneak into the Modelo brewery?

Constellation should make this happen.

"I gotta go post bail for Meemaw. We're both banned, but she got busted trying to sneak into the Maple BBA Watermelon Corona release for me."

*I still like MBCP and Last Snow is doses after upscaling but it's getting worse each batch.

I don't have much experience with Funky Buddha, but the one beer I've been able to repeat was MBCP. The first time I had it was in the very early days, back when it was only available in 32oz growlers and their portfolio was mostly fruited berliners. It was amazing. Then I had it 2-3 years later in a bomber once they had a real production facility, and it was still damn good, but a shell of its former self. Scaling up seems to be the achilles heel of so many breweries that show promise at a smaller size.

Remember the old prescription label bottles from Funky Buddha?

1bu888.jpg

When I was down in Tampa this year I had a few Funky Buddha beers, and none of them (Last Snow, Last Buffalo, Maple Bacon Coffee, a DIPA that is escaping me) were what I remember them being previously.

Did they say if this includes the Funky Buddha Lounge in Boca? I see Brewery Brewery Brewery with no mention of the Lounge (which is a separate location and very different)

I've been calling this forever but does anybody remember just how ****ing MYTHICAL MBCP was when it first came out?

maplebaconcoffeeporter.jpg

Those original batches of Last Snow in growlers were so ****ing good they didn't need barrels. Ugh. Nom.

That said I'm a sucker for Snowed In and Morning Wood and still have that BA Tequila Coffee Beer they made in my beer fridge.

Really couldn't care less about this. I find most of their goofy flavored beer underwhelming. The stouts are ok but are inferior to Cycle, CCB and Angry Chair at similar price points. Lastly their core line up is the worst of any of the "major" FL breweries that distribute IMO. In other words...

byefelicia.gif

Did they say if this includes the Funky Buddha Lounge in Boca?

I was at the lounge a few days ago, the bartenders were saying it's staying independent but who knows.

They still brew the little system they have in the back. Not sure what the legal ramifications are, maybe they'll change their name to Funkier Buddha or something. Would hate to see it close down, it's been my little bar for the past 5 years. It's been pretty inconsistent because of how many brewers have come and gone but Scott is there now and is doing well and is a cool dude. I enjoy bullshitting with him when I go to the homebrew shop attached to it.

I was at the lounge a few days ago, the bartenders were saying it's staying independent but who knows.

They still brew the little system they have in the back. Not sure what the legal ramifications are, maybe they'll change their name to Funkier Buddha or something. Would hate to see it close down, it's been my little bar for the past 5 years. It's been pretty inconsistent because of how many brewers have come and gone but Scott is there now and is doing well and is a cool dude. I enjoy bullshitting with him when I go to the homebrew shop attached to it.

Could simply be the same way the Goose Island brewpubs were separate from the sale of the Goose Island brewery / brand back in the day.

Eventually John Hall did sell the pubs to AB / InBev as well, but it took a few more years.

I don't know if my dad is bullshitting me but he heard $100M was the sale price is being whispered around South Florida.

I don't know if my dad is bullshitting me but he heard $100M was the sale price is being whispered around South Florida.
Well they paid ten times that for Ballast Point, so it's certainly possible.

Very different operations. I don't think FB makes it out of Florida right now distro-wise. BP was practically nation-wide.
Hence why they paid ten times more. I'm just noting that they're not averse to throwing cash at **** they want.

Back