Floor burner safe indoors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJordan

Reaction score
Just got my new Blichmann floor burner with the 2ft extension legs. the warnings that come with it say "for outdoor use only". is this just a CYA on their part? I have a good size room that I have turned into a brewing room, seems like a good idea to me. Oh, and does anyone know exactly how much propane a 72,000 btu burner uses for a brew session?

No! These burners put out a LOT more fumes than a standard gas stove. Use it outside. No matter how big you think your room is.

Outlander

I'm glad he asked tho, it can not be used inside because the carbon monoxide could cause death

Oh, and does anyone know exactly how much propane a 72,000 btu burner uses for a brew session?
Assuming you are running your burner on full blast, it uses 72,000 BTUs in 1 hour (less if it is not on full blast). 1 gallon of propane has 91,500 BTUs. So just multiply 72,000 by the amount of time you run your burner in hours, then divide that number by 91,500 and you'll know how many gallons of propane you used.

I am glad OP asked this. I had planned on brewing in my large laundry room with a turkey fryer and thought the biggest hazard was fire. I figured a good fire extinguisher and I would be fine. Outside it is! Thanks OP.

If you keep the burner well away from any combustibles and OPEN ALL THE WINDOWS and doors you could brew indoors. If you burn down your house sift through the debris and remove the burner before contacting you insurance company.... :drunk:

Two reasons not to brew with a burner indoors:
1- Carbon monoxide is a poison that can kill you
2- You are dealing with huge BTUs, and it is unlikely you have proper ventialation, fire supression, etc. for that kind of heat / flame.

If making wort indoors, go electric.

I turned my garage into a brew room, it's a one car garage so the wife and I park in the driveway so we don't trap one another in. On brew day I open the garage door and do my boil 3-5 feet outside and then use the hose to hook up the wort chiller. Close to all my gear and safe. You probably can still do your boil close enough to your brew room to where it is not that inconvenient. Hope you make something work well for you. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

To use indoors with a non-flammable floor surface (and preferably fire resistant walls) you need proper ventilation. Ie range hood and fan venting to out doors with a fresh air return.

You can also use in a garage with the garage door open (and inside doors shut).

To use indoors with a non-flammable floor surface (and preferably fire resistant walls) you need proper ventilation. Ie range hood and fan venting to out doors with a fresh air return.

even with that I have always thought you are not suppose to have any propane cylinder/tank larger then one pound inside a residence by law

all the best

S_M

you can use the burner as long as you take the proper cautions and have forced ventilation. A lot of home brewers do it in their basements

i wouldn't use a propane burner (turkey fryer style) in my house, i have used them in my garage and others garages before.

a couple notes:

1. you need to have a window or door open. Fire needs oxygen, fuel source, and a heat source. keeping your doors and windows shut restricts the oxygen that you need for good clean burning. this will result in carbon monoxide. running your car for 10min in your garage will likely create more CO then a propane burner for an hour.

2. boiling water with these burners creates a ton of steam. think about it, your boiling off anywhere from 1-2 gallons and maybe more. this is the main reason i hate to do it in my garage during the winter. you need a good vent to draw that moist air out.

3. they produce a ton of heat so anything synthetic could catch fire if it is too close. carpets, blinds, etc.

now if your working with oil like frying french fries then there is no way i would even thing of doing it indoors. i stay clear of the house or any building in case of a oil spill that catches fire.

To answer your other question, I have the same burner and I get at least six brewdays out of a 20 lb. tank, and probably more.

OP - I used my blichmann floor burner with leg extensions for the first time yesterday. I previously used a turkey fryer. The amount of heat and fumes that the Blichmann burner put out was way more than my old turkey fryer.

I would never recommend using this inside just given the amount of heat that it put out.

Check out this thread

With my added opinions :) . I wouldn't use the burner in the room you describe. The amount of steam and heat these burners produce is amazing! I have no reservations/hesitations against using my burner in the garage, where I can open/close doors to manage the (room's) heat.

Thanks for the info guys. I fixed the problem by utilizing a small porch area that only 10 feet from my brew room. I got this burner and a stainless steel conical fermenter in trade for some painting work for the guy that owns my local brew supply shop. Time to get serious about this hobby.

Back