Floodland Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume no proxies to avoid double dippers?

I would imagine an Oakworks member could proxy for a non-member trying to pickup their bottles from a public sale. paysse, is that cool? I live close by, and could prolly help out, assuming I'm actually in town whenever the next public pickup is.

I would imagine an Oakworks member could proxy for a non-member trying to pickup their bottles from a public sale. paysse, is that cool? I live close by, and could prolly help out, assuming I'm actually in town whenever the next public pickup is.

I believe it's no proxies for public releases; Oakworks only.

Yeah, as I see it, the downside of making it a bit harder for a few people (such as myself) to try Floodlands beer is that no proxies guarantees things get spread around to more people since no one is doubling down. If this is the case, I can easily live with it. I know I will try Floodlands eventually, even if it isn't from the next public sale.

Yeah, as I see it, the downside of making it a bit harder for a few people (such as myself) to try Floodlands beer is that no proxies guarantees things get spread around to more people since no one is doubling down. If this is the case, I can easily live with it. I know I will try Floodlands eventually, even if it isn't from the next public sale.
If you promise to haul a bottle up a mountain and drink it there, I'm sure I can spare one at some point.

If you promise to haul a bottle up a mountain and drink it there, I'm sure I can spare one at some point.

That would be amazing if you could. I would happily bring you something up from CA I hope would be a fair thank you. I am planning a North Cascades packrafting trip in July (tentatively start Highway 20, hike + paddle down Bridge Creek, then continue down Stehekin River to Lake Chelan. With an alternate start option of hiking over Cascade Pass until the Stehekin headwaters becomes runable). I can't promise it will make it to the top of a mountain, but it would certainly get drank somewhere deep in the wilderness.

That would be amazing if you could. I would happily bring you something up from CA I hope would be a fair thank you. I am planning a North Cascades packrafting trip in July (tentatively start Highway 20, hike + paddle down Bridge Creek, then continue down Stehekin River to Lake Chelan. With an alternate start option of hiking over Cascade Pass until the Stehekin headwaters becomes runable). I can't promise it will make it to the top of a mountain, but it would certainly get drank somewhere deep in the wilderness.
Sounds like a great trip. I'll be camping on the Mountain Loop highway and spending a couple nights in a cabin up the Entiat River in July with FoudreGuy, but I'll make it work. Ping me closer to when you're headed up.

I don't have any plans to allow proxies for public pickups in the immediate future. It's a lot of customer service type work managing the sales already, and I'd rather be focused on making more beer.

For people in Portland there will be a keg at the Belmont Station Puckerfest in July.

For people in/near Seattle we'll have a lot of beers on draught May 14th at 5pm at The Masonry Fremont. No tickets, just come drink beer. Should be 5 beers on draught, and I only kegged 7 beers this year so that's most of them.

Sounds like I made the right call not dragging muh baby down to the Masonry w/ me yesterday evening for some new Floodland brews... Crowded af is what I'm hearing. Most of the new stuff that was pouring — minus the Spelt Pale — is seeing bottles anyway tho, right? Definitely excited about that passionfruit one.

Very busy, I got down just before 7 and Protection Spells and the Passionfruit beer has both kicked, with the Field Blend and spelt pale going just after.

The grisette was sublime though, and I could drink Grails all day long.

Sounds like I made the right call not dragging muh baby down to the Masonry w/ me yesterday evening for some new Floodland brews... Crowded af is what I'm hearing. Most of the new stuff that was pouring — minus the Spelt Pale — is seeing bottles anyway tho, right? Definitely excited about that passionfruit one.
Evening would've been bad. If you got there before 5–say, 4:30–you could've easily snagged a table and hung out. (You would've likely waited 45 minutes to order/receive beer/order another beer/pay your tab, but at least you would've had a spot to sit.)

Beers were excellent. Somehow I enjoyed Protection Spells on draft more than I had out of the bottle. Passionfruit saison was beautiful. I should've had a full pour of the spelt pale but [difficulties]. Also, I am now officially a fan of pineapple on pizza–it's been a journey.

Got there with my daughter and parents in tow around 430 and grabbed a table. Had beers, food and Floodland beers and were on our way home around 545. They were busy but we didn’t wait too long for our beers. Yeah, if you got there later you were screwed.

My favorite grisette's
This is a cool read on grisette:
http://www.horscategoriebrewing.com/2015/10/what-is-grisette.html

While this isn't an anachronistic beer, grisette historically was not acidic and not aged. So A&C is in that vein. Dry, small, young, but made with a mixed culture. 4.4% is also the real abv, not a "9.9% wink wink" beer that is actually a lot bigger. It's 9 plato OG.

Aging in the bottle will probably make it funkier and eventually it will probably acidify. For saison nerds or brewers, it's kind of a thing. Acidic culture controlled by hopping and other means, young mixed culture beer, etc.

Most commercial grisettes these days that I've had are acidic and not at all hoppy when I've had them even shortly after release. Nothing wrong with those, HF Clara is absolutely ****ing phenomenal, but that profile isn't what I was going for with this. A "barrel aged grisette" is antithetical for me. This is more a dry/small saison with pale ale level hopping and an oat based malt bill with good english malt and strong minerality, so that even though it's tiny it has really good body.

As far as bottles, there'll be an email on these soon. TVU/passionfruit won't see a proper release in bottles, just a few magnums, kegs, and some bottles set aside for future tastings/tours. It was a single barrel made from organic passionfruit that came from my friend's sister's farm in San Diego.

I had no clue they grew passionfruit in California. Always figured it was just the Hawaiian islands, Southeast Asia and maybe South America.
Yeah, it's organic and they are also doing avocado and working on growing coffee. The fruit was cool, it was basically a suitcase full that she picked and flew up here for us to use. Single barrel of the beer, hence why I chose to pull kegs of it mostly instead of bottles, so I could spread it around as much as possible. It'll be on at Brouwer's tomorrow for Sour Fest as well.

It'll be on at Brouwer's tomorrow for Sour Fest as well.

My Vast Unknowable tasting notes from earlier today...

giphy.gif

I had no clue they grew passionfruit in California. Always figured it was just the Hawaiian islands, Southeast Asia and maybe South America.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hpb-ra...-1200pm-noon-today-pickup-tickets-33531564813
Raised Eyebrows: This beer utilizes Passionfruit and guavas from our tree in the parking lot. 100% aged in neutral French oak barrels. The beer is fermented with our house cultures that contain lactobacillus, pediococcus, and brettanomyces. The exotic, ripe qualities of the unique fruit comes through as refreshingly zippy, aromatic, funky, and fun! 4%

I'd just like to thank paysse for doing black shirts alongside the white ones. I look like a total dork in white shirts so I was a bit bummed when I saw the prototype image on a white shirt.
My original plan was to do this in white and another shirt in black, but the other shirt didn't get ready in time and I was itching to print some shirts, so I did this in two colors. I've got more stuff in the works, just too busy brewing and answering emails to get shirts designed, unfortunately. I have new glassware for July, though (1pp at most because they didn't have much glass stock, but they are rad).

"I am sending this out in advance because we had problems last time with a lot of folks just jumping to purchase the bottles without reading the details about pickups. If you're interested in grabbing the bottles, please read this."

This is so pathetic, but predictable. The instructions could not have been more clear. Shame you have to clarify this for the trigger happy illiterates.

Guessing there was a non-member email sent out today?

Adam's emails are incredibly detailed and informative. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could be confused.

Wait, Nevermind. I can.

I just think people are so motivated by FOMO, profit, or just their genuine desire for good beer that they will participate in any online sale, hand over their billing info, and then "worry about the details later."

People were also confused by the Oakworks email on Facebook, and there wasn’t any sort of FOMO urgency there. Unless a week isn’t enough time for one to make a decision.

There weren't even enough glasses to guarantee everyone in Oakworks a glass, I think.
And, bad news, I'm not pumped on how beer tastes out of the new glasses. I know that sounds nuts, but I'd rather just eat the cost than send out glassware that looks cool but doesn't present anything you pour into it in the best light. Glassware is crazy like that.

I'm going to get some new glasses made using the stemware I chose for the Oakworks glasses. I'd like to offer it to anyone, but shipping glassware isn't ideal and we aren't set up for people to drop in and buy **** (and likely won't ever be).

Back