Flood of beer in kezeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooklynTom

Reaction score
Well, after a year of kegging, I have had my first problem.
I kegged a Belgian Double yesterday, I went to purge the head space with co
and set the seals only to find I had run out of gas. that would have been a non issue by it self, but I also found 2.5 gals of my winter ale in the bottom of the kezeer. it seem that the liquid QD line had worked itself loose from the MFL connection. It was an easy fix once I found it. I will have to remember to keep an eye on them from now on. Lucky for me I was able to get a new tank of gas form my local shop, and while I was at it, I also picked up supplies for an Irish Stout.

If you don't mind, please explain how that happened so can avoid learning the same way you did. I'm guessing the QD didn't click on fully and that's something I should always double check.

Losing a keg of beer has an awful toll on your brewing morale, and also on the wallet. Spend a few bucks on some spare parts now, and avoid heartache later.

• Using keg lube on your posts will make your life much better.
  • If you're QD-s are barbed, check the worm clamps. If they are threaded, make sure tight.
  • Double-check posts to make sure they are tight when filling a keg.
  • Replace the o-rings on the gas and liquid dip tubes, and on the posts. Keep a bunch of extras.
  • If you store kegs of beer without the gas/beer lines attached, make sure your poppets are in good shape. Keep a bunch of extras so you can change if you suspect one is not seating properly or noticeably worn.

I make it a habit of retightening everything whenever I clean my beer lines. It's amazing how things loosen up over time.

When it happened to me, it was one of my faucets. I cleaned it, but when I reassembled it, I misaligned one of the parts. I noticed that I was still getting a few drops of beer after I shut off the tap. I didn't think it was a problem until I came home to several gallons of beer on the floor. :D

If you don't mind, please explain how that happened so can avoid learning the same way you did. I'm guessing the QD didn't click on fully and that's something I should always double check.

Where the line connects to the post type QD ( mine are MFL) the nut became lose on the threaded part. must have been working itself lose bit by bit when changing the kegs out. allowing the beer to escape. leaking because the QD was engaged on the poppet but the line was working its way off the QD.

Losing a keg of beer has an awful toll on your brewing morale, and also on the wallet. Spend a few bucks on some spare parts now, and avoid heartache later.

• Using keg lube on your posts will make your life much better.
  • If you're QD-s are barbed, check the worm clamps. If they are threaded, make sure tight.
  • Double-check posts to make sure they are tight when filling a keg.
  • Replace the o-rings on the gas and liquid dip tubes, and on the posts. Keep a bunch of extras.
  • If you store kegs of beer without the gas/beer lines attached, make sure your poppets are in good shape. Keep a bunch of extras so you can change if you suspect one is not seating properly or noticeably worn.

I had no parts to replace, only tighten, threaded QD worked lose.
I do keep extra parts around. Thanks for you reply, good info.:mug:

I make it a habit of retightening everything whenever I clean my beer lines. It's amazing how things loosen up over time.

When it happened to me, it was one of my faucets. I cleaned it, but when I reassembled it, I misaligned one of the parts. I noticed that I was still getting a few drops of beer after I shut off the tap. I didn't think it was a problem until I came home to several gallons of beer on the floor. :D

I will check every connection from now on. Several gallons on the floor sucks...... I know:mug:

Back