Flocs in my secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

77bawls

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before. I have flocs of yeast floating just a couple inches off the surface in the secondary. What is causing them to stay right there instead of floating to the top or sinking to the bottom? The kit included some Irish Moss when I racked into the secondary it was pretty cloudy. I haven't taken a sample since then to see if it cleared up.

I'm not really worried about it if it's not clear but I would rather not have the flocs in the bottle.

164357_1604033233755_1623861998_1437202_5601686_n.jpg

I've got the same thing happening in my secondary. Small ball shaped globs at or near the surface. Best guesses have been it is some of the trub that got sucked up during racking.

After about 4 days, small foam islands began to appear indicating the yeast was still at work so instead of clearing in 2 weeks it will take longer.

Do you seen any activity? What kind are you making?

Do you seen any activity? What kind are you making?

There is nothing coming out of the airlock. Some of the flocs are still moving around. I didn't have an auto siphon so I had to fill the racking cane with water and I was busy trying to get the water out in a separate container so there was a bit of trub that got in the secondary. Most of it sunk right to the bottom.

It's just an amber ale extract with specialty grains. I had two boil overs because of distractions from the 3 year old. One was pretty bad. The starting gravity was 1.050 so I should still be good.

Also there is only about 4 gallons where the recipe said there would be five. How much priming sugar do I need to leave out?

The advice I've seen here says that no air-lock activity doesn't mean there's no fermentation happening. I think several gravity readings that do no change means you're done.

Check out the "software" section here, or Google "Beer Carbonation Calculator". You'll find stuff on the net that will allow you to plug in your beer type, amount of carb you want, amount of beer to carb and temp. It will calc the amount of whatever type of priming sugar you will need.

Stuff in my secondary sounds alot like the batch you made. Extract with grains. I was there all the time so no boil overs. OG as 1.055 (adjusted).

Good luck.

Back