floating white formations in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have encountered something i can't explain, perhaps someone here has faced a similar situation?

I racked my future cherry wheat ale to the secondary yesterday morning.
The yeast I used in this brew was a wyeast smackpack American wheat.

This evening I am noticing several white dots forming all over the brew (first time I've looked at it since i racked it to secondary).

attached is a photo of the brew in my carboy, you can see the dots (not sure what to call them?)

i am having a hard time believe that they could be a product of co2, does this look like an infection?

I am planning on dry hopping the day after tomorrow, would adding the hops earlier help fight off the infection (if i have one?), or is there something else that is recommended?

have you seen this before?

thanks in advance for the response.
:mug:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7183/dotst.jpg

I can't really see anything in the picture, but I still think they're probably 'yeast rafts'. A bit of yeast gets some CO2 bubbles stuck to it, then they all float up to the top together and hang out for a while. They're lots of little bubbles in a circle or oval, right?

Totally normal if that is what they look like. Otherwise it's probably just some other ugly thing that happens in fermentation.

Wheat beers look disgusting during fermentation, even in a secondary.

Infections tend to look ropey, stringy, or fuzzy/furry. Watch it for a day or two and see if the dots grow in size or start to get fuzzy.

If you *do* have an infection, there's not a whole lot you can do. Rack from the bottom quietly and don't take the top beer off. Hope for the best.

Also, in my experience, overnight is not nearly enough time to form bacterial cultures.

When you rack to secondary, often you get yeast floaties. Sometimes they fall back and sometimes they just float around on top doing nothing.

Latest posts

Back