Floating Dip Tube Absorbing Esters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggz1313

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been noticing this over the past year and want to get some more brains thinking about this.

I have 3 fermzilla all rounders and I bought everything to make them pressure capable (mainly for closed transfers). Over the past year, after I've fermented many of my English ales (mainly with Wyeast ESB) I've noticed the dip tub hoses have a lasting scent I can't get rid of, even after soaking in piping hot PBW. It's not a bad smell, in fact it smells quiet like I hope my beer would taste as far as the fruit notes go on English ales. I've come to the conclusion the dip tubes are Absorbing the esters from my beer.

Is this possible? If so, is it potentially decreasing the amount significantly enough that it's changing the way my final beer tastes?

Honestly my beer has always turned out great, I'm just wondering if I'm potentially missing out on some added flavor due to the dip tube issue. Any and all thoughts/discussion would be fantastic.

Thanks!!

Hi everyone. I've been noticing this over the past year and want to get some more brains thinking about this.

I have 3 fermzilla all rounders and I bought everything to make them pressure capable (mainly for closed transfers). Over the past year, after I've fermented many of my English ales (mainly with Wyeast ESB) I've noticed the dip tub hoses have a lasting scent I can't get rid of, even after soaking in piping hot PBW. It's not a bad smell, in fact it smells quiet like I hope my beer would taste as far as the fruit notes go on English ales. I've come to the conclusion the dip tubes are Absorbing the esters from my beer.

Is this possible? If so, is it potentially decreasing the amount significantly enough that it's changing the way my final beer tastes?

Honestly my beer has always turned out great, I'm just wondering if I'm potentially missing out on some added flavor due to the dip tube issue. Any and all thoughts/discussion would be fantastic.

Thanks!!

I use the same floating dip tubes in the keg. They absolutely absorb the "scents". I've tried everything under the sun and have just come to accept it is what it is. Now with that said I have not had those scents, or potential flavors, transfer over to any of the beer. If they do I may just move back to the stainless dip tubes. For now the floating dip tubes are between 6-8 months old. I have the same issues with my draft lines too.

Since the tubing has no impact on any kind of ingress, then maybe a different formulation or material would be better? Flexibility seems like the most important aspect. The usage is low temperature and low impact, so that is a pretty easy range to operate in.

Back