Floaties ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfoxall

Reaction score
My first batch of a brown ale from an extract kit is done. I have had several when I open a bottle pour the beer into a pint glass and I notice bling flat pieces floating in the beer. I scooped a couple out and when you rub them between your fingers they almost just go away but leave behind a hint of brown. What could this be and is it safe to drink ?

That's kind of what I was thinking also but it's the only bottle I have found it in so I was a little concerned. Thanks.

This happens quite often when bottling using the valve at the bottom of a bottling bucket (or Mr beer kit). It is just sediment (yeast and hops). You should do a second fermentation next time and also bottle via siphoning. Just be sure to leave the bottom sludge untouched when siphoning.

Hope this helps
Grant

If it was one of the last to be bottled it might have more sediment in it. Check with one of the pro's though im just a noob :/

Yes that did help . Thanks guys. I am actually sound a second fermentation. I start in the bottling bucket and then to the carboy and the Back to the bucket for bottling. Is this the proper way ?

That sounds good. I just like the siphon just because the spigot is so close to the trub. But this is really just preference.

If you do decide to siphon into bottles grab a bottling wand. Makes things super easy. Also helps with getting head space right in each bottle, because the displacement of the volume of the wand is the perfect amount of head space when you fill the bottle right tot the top. Best cheap investment. Also look into an auto-siphon if you don't have one.

Cheers

Thanks ghall. I am sure there are so many simple thing idk it's kinda frustrating thinking you can come into this and brew beer without any problems and then run into about a problem a week lol. Thanks again.

I don't think i have ever brewed a batch with something small going wrong (or unexpected) and i have been brewing for a few years now. That is whats fun :)

I don't bottle I keg, but I see some floaties in a the glasses of the first few beers poured. I'm not sure exactly what it is though probably yeast. However it doesn't change the beer flavor. With a little time the floaties settle out. Time and beer clarity are on the same team. The longer beer sits undisturbed the clearer it becomes and vice versa.

If you cool your bottles longer all the sediment will compact on the bottom of the bottle. When pouring watch what is coming out of the bottle. Stop when you see anything that is not clear.

Do not siphon to the bottling bucket then back to the carboy then to the bottling bucket again. This will stir up sediment and also increase the risk of oxidizing your beer.

One careful transfer to the bottling bucket being as careful as possible not to suck up trub is the best.

Back