Floaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverbrain

Reaction score
Hello all!

So Im on my second ever attempt at this artform.. California Pale Ale is the label. Followed the directions much better this time then the first go around, let sit in primary for 8 days, racked to secondary carboy. Question is this... is it possible to rack w/o getting floaties without discarding a gallon of the good stuff? Id assume that things floating are fine (not worried about it affecting end result...unless I cant get it out of final product.)

p3130192oa4.jpg

p3130193rl1.jpg

Whats best way to get this cleared up before bottling? I plan on racking back my bucket for bottling Friday (FG was 1.12 on sunday.. 1.11 today) I have attached pictures to give you an idea of what im dealing with, I think its yeast. Is is just assumed to discard a good deal during final racking to make sure your bottles are float free? p.s. the condensation in the picture is newbe mistake of adding gelatin warmer then i think was intended.

Thanks all, great forum, learning more then any book could teach.

I added the gelatin about an hour before posting, those floaties have been there since i racked to secondary (3 days ago) I added the gelatins (per instructions) to cold water and made water warm 1 pints worth then added to carboy 3 days before bottling.

Beer has been fermenting at 66-70

There are even some floaties that are suspended (hard to see, but they are in the pictures) so even if i stay off the bottom, and dont get the the top im sure somethings going to end up in the bottles other then beer (im not afraid of drinking it, but id rather not share ya know)

*If you want even closer ups I can take new pics.

Eww the word infection has me worried.. The directions as recieved was

"After beer has fermented, prepare gelatin by adding it to 1 pint of cold water and gently heat and stirring until dissolved. Add to eer in the fermenter and let it clear for 2 to 3 days in the carboy before bottling"

As close up as I can get with my digital camera. Hops?

p3130192bcc6.jpg

p3130193btv8.jpg

Thanks again )

Irish Moss! Did some pellet hops but those were boiled out. Recipe was basically grain / extract / boiling hops / some other hops added 10 minutes before end of boil / irish moss / gelatin

-Silver

Check out my floaties...

7726-100_0928.JPG

I had TONS of the little bastards, most of them settled out, the rest I just didn't siphon up. I never really figured out what it was, it looked a lot like yours once most of it settled out, about what it was like at bottling for me.

Don't worry about it, I assumed mine was yeast, but I do know that it didn't hurt anything. Just tasted it today after 1 week in bottle and damn it's good. Not quite carbonated all the way yet, but my best effort yet.

So long as you have a sediment trap on your racking cane you will be fine. My Caramel Cream Ale had quite a few floaties which I assumed were Irish moss since that was the only thing I just chucked in (hops were in bags). None of them got sucked up when I siphoned, which I assume is due to my trusty sediment trap *^_^*

could be clumps of yeast...

can you get the carboy cold, say like if you were to put it in the fridge or a lagering cellar? should help crash those floaties. :)

I was just going to say that- those look like yeast clumpies. I think that's the true technical term. Or maybe I made that up.

I have had a slight chill haze in all my beers, except the ones that I remember to put the Irish Moss in. Otherwise, they are crystal clear. I don't use finings or anything- just time and racking off the sediment. Your beer looks dark in the carboy, but in the glass, it will be clear and beautiful. Try not to worry- those yeast clumpies may not settle, just siphon away from them. It'll turn out great, I promise.

some of the floaties I have seen in my batches that look similar to that I'm pretty sure are hulls and bits of grain that get past the sieve when I'm doing partial grain or they could be small pieces from the hops.

ilikestuff your picture looks more like a honey bucket that a fermenter :drunk: j/k:D

Markusface, what are you using as a sediment trap? Any pictures or descriptions? Sounds like thats what im looking to do. Thanks all )

that green leafy material looks like hops to me. Try to cool it down below 60 and let it sit for a week or 2. After bottling condition for 2 weeks or more at room temp and then cold conditoning in the fridge @32 should drop anything else out.

Wow. Saw this thread pop up in My Replies, and had no idea what it was. No wonder, it's over a year and a half old. Regardless, I don't think he needs the advice on this one anymore.

Latest posts

Back