Floaties in the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorJerry

Reaction score
Alright, so we just got done bottling batch #3, a extremely light ale that we added pear extract too after fermentation was complete. This had 1/2 oz of hops at 60 min, and then an ounce at 15 min, and an ounce at 5 min.

When moving from the fermenter to the bottling bucket, the beer seemed very clear, and I was careful not to get any, or much trub through the siphon. Now, I held a beer up to the light 4 days after bottling, and I have little particles floating. This wasn't dry hopped, but we didn't use priming sugar, we used the tabs from Northern Brewer. I'm curious what everyone thinks is the cause?

I'm sure it'll mostly settle out when carbonation is completed, and the bottles get put in the fridge. Would cold crashing a few days after fermentation is complete, and before bottling, help with that? What about the fines people put in? I've read about "Knox" being used? How do you incorporate it and when?

Yes, it will clear. I've noticed, and this is just my own observation here, that it usually takes just about the same amount of time to bottle condition as it did to ferment. So leave them be for however long it took to ferment before you crack one open. They will be nice and clear by then and probably have decent carbonation too ( ;

Cold crashing is optional, depending on the style they may taste perfectly fine at ambient temps after the bottling sugar is used up.
( ;

could just be some yeast, I always have a little sediment in the bottom of my bottles which is why I pour them into a glass

Totally normal. Hindsight is 20/20, but in the future before you prime you should cold crash. This will help any remaining protein sediment pack to the bottom of the fermenter and make it easier to leave behind during the transfer. Beer will be fine and settle out in the fridge (stored upright obviously). When you pour into a glass just make sure to leave some in the bottle.

Last edited:
Totally normal. Hindsight is 20/20, but in the future before you prime you should cold crash. This will help any remaining protein sediment pack to the bottom of the fermenter and make it easier to leave behind during the transfer. Beer will be fine and settle out in the fridge (stored upright obviously). When you pour into a glass just make sure to leave some in the bottle.

This is what I had assumed we should be doing, but just haven't done it yet. I know about the stuff left in the bottom of the bottles, and that it works better to drink it out of a glass, pouring carefully to not disturb the sediment in the bottle. No biggy there, just more wanted to double check about the cold crashing aspect.

On the plus side, this beer is going to be VERY light in color, and hopefully the pear flavor comes through. After we took hydrometer readings, we show 7.35% abv, which means I probably shouldn't have thrown that priming sugar in at flameout. ABV is a little higher than we wanted, but oh well.

Back