Flavors -- What and how ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1937BJS

Reaction score
I would like to try doing some flavorings. In reading, quite often it is mentioned that people use different flavors. It sounds like some use the commercial ones, and other people do their own. Question: How much, what, how and when to add, What are some of your favorites, and how do you do it? Thanks

My go to is Penzy's #1 crack China ginger. I think it's freeze dried, and I use 1/2 tps per 16 oz flip top. This had the most ginger flavor over fresh or crystallized.

I do several different things. One of my favorites is to put blackberries in a blender, and then strain to get rid of the seeds and add that directly to the kombucha.
My favorite is lemon zest and slivers of ginger, because it tastes like a ginger ale soda without the sugar.
I keg mostly, so I can put that in a straining bag and leave it in the keg, but I have done it in bottles too.

Yooper, looking at your message count, you should have a lot of expertise on this subject. -- At what point do you add that berry juice, and approximately how much. Is this what many call "second fermentation"? -- The wife has made many, many gallons of kombucha, however, never tried any of the flavorings. That was several years ago. -- Now I am getting more of an interest in it and keep coming up with questions.

I do several different things. One of my favorites is to put blackberries in a blender, and then strain to get rid of the seeds and add that directly to the kombucha.

I'm actually about to do the same with some blueberries. How much do you usually use?

I'm on "K" every day now for several weeks. I swear it has helped me out in more than one area. I enjoy it plain and at this time I do not plan on using any flavors. For kicks, there have been a few times I tried some store bought with flavors. I'm not impressed. Maybe some time I will try some of my own with flavors.

Back