Flavoring, what part of the process??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RothRock

Reaction score
Hey guys I am doing partiall mashes and I want to experiment with flavoring beer. What part of the process do you find that you gain the best results. Example: secondary fermentation adding vanilla beans, cinnamon, fruit etc... Thanks guys

Spices are typically put in with 10-15 minutes left in the boil. Fruit is typically done in secondary fermentation.

Give more specifics of the beer style and what exactly you want to add, and we can give you a specific process. There are subtle differences in technique for different additions!

If you want to really know how a flavor will affect your beer, the best time would be after you transfer it to your bottling bucket. Add a little amount of spice/flavor, stir very gently to prevent oxidation and draw off a sample. Keep adding until you reach the flavor you want.

Ok thanks guys. I am looking to flavor more in the secondary fermentation process. I am very new to home brewing and my goal is to do a lot of experimenting with flavoring. I am not looking to brew in big volumes. So basically I take 5 Gallon recipes and split them.
So if my questions seem childish but as I stated I am very new to this process.

Oh my primary beer of choice for brewing are Lagers, Porters and pale ales for now.

Again, you need to be more specific. Not all "flavoring" would be appropriate in secondary. Decide on exactly what you want to work with, and we can give you better direction on the correct process to add that specific item.

Back