Flavoring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltic419

Reaction score
I have 2 quick questions. When adding vanilla to your meads do you add extract or do you use actual vanilla beans? Also do you prefer fresh fruit or frozen? I am looking to brew a vanilla raspberry mead.

Either/or works for vanilla, though each have drawbacks. Being an oil, the extract can sometimes integrate weirdly and cause odd flavors in my experience, while the bean can be easy to overdo if it is left in too long. I personally lean toward the actual bean, but neither one is wrong per say. Whichever route you choose though, add vanilla in secondary - during fermentation, active yeast will eat away all of the vanilla flavor.

For fruit, I'd recommend using frozen. It is usually cheaper than fresh fruit, often is more flavorful (having been frozen right after being picked), and the freezing/thawing process helps to break down the fruit cell walls.

Also, if you pick your own fruit or purchase, it's still a good idea to freeze them as this breaks cell walls and release's juice's easier. Are you planning a primary or secondary fruit addition?

Also, if you pick your own fruit or purchase, it's still a good idea to freeze them as this breaks cell walls and release's juice's easier. Are you planning a primary or secondary fruit addition?
I was thinking fruit in the primary and the vanilla secondary.

That's fine, just keep an eye on it as the fruit can get your fermentation going faster than you might expect, raspberry is one of those I need to stay on top of so nutrient doesn't run out and cause an odor issue.

Last edited:
Also, make sure you punch down the fruit cap @ minimum once a day to prevent the exposed part of the fruit from drying out and possibly molding. You can prevent having to to that if you ferment in a food safe bucket & put your fruit in a brew bag with glass or ceramic fermentation weights.
6 Pack - Large glass fermentation...

Back