Give me a Yeast recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewarning

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a 5g batch of sweet vanilla and lavender mead. I plan to age it in the secondary, back sweeten, then add lavender and vanilla tinctures. What's a good yeast to use and why do you recommend it?

How many pounds of honey per gallon/what kind of og/alcohol percentage are you after? I think this should be one of the primary factors in choosing a yeast. All yeasts have an alcohol tolerance and you need to take that into account. Many are in the neighborhood of 14%. Some are more.

If you can keep the temp below 60.1F, K1-V1116 can give some nice floral esters into the mead.

D-47 (needs a low 60's temp) can give some nice aromas and generally will provide a nice mouthfeel. HIgher ABV helps with that as well.

I'm looking to make a 5g batch of sweet vanilla and lavender mead. I plan to age it in the secondary, back sweeten, then add lavender and vanilla tinctures. What's a good yeast to use and why do you recommend
I would recommend using Red Star Rouge because it is a slow fermenting yeast that leaves a lot of the original flavours of the ingredients so you can fine tune more subtle flavours from the honey.

Back