Flat carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dok

Reaction score
I bottled an APA about a month ago. It sat in my basement the whole time at a cool temp. I opened one to try it out and it was pretty flat. My question is if I try warming up the beer will it make any difference at this point? I primed it according to the scale from Palmer's "How to brew" using corn sugar at 2.5 volumes.

Yes. In order for the yeast to work, the beer should be at fermentation temperature- usually room temperature is good but my house is cold in February! If you have a place that is 70-72 degrees, that would be ideal! 3 weeks at 70 degrees should do it.

I bottled an APA about a month ago. It sat in my basement the whole time at a cool temp. I opened one to try it out and it was pretty flat. My question is if I try warming up the beer will it make any difference at this point? I primed it according to the scale from Palmer's "How to brew" using corn sugar at 2.5 volumes.

When you say "your basement" what was the temp? And did you have it on the floor?

LOL! You actually did make me laugh out loud.

You can't get to 29,XXX post and be slow on the draw! And I'm sure learned the answer from one of your or Revvy's posts.

:off: side note: I hope you enjoying the TX weather. Your state is kicking my a$$,The are calling for 4-9" of the white stuff this evening. I have been in SW MI for 4 months and it seem like it never stops snowing.

You know, that explains why my mead is not carbonating. It's in my cold/rack room that has been particularly cold. Well its also been particularly cold here in general, -24C now :$

As the "Yooper" stated that is too cool you need @ 70-72 for 3 weeks.

Your feeding the yeast again to carbonate your beer, if it is ale yeast at your basement temps it would be sluggish at best if not dormant. But the good news, relax... in three weeks you will have BEER!

Thanks guys. Sometimes you just need a little reassurance. You just want to make sure your effort was not a waste. I kegged the other half of this batch and it is really good. I want to enter it in my first competition so we will see what happens.

i made the same mistake a few weeks ago, i just didn't realize it was that cold in my basement. i moved it to an upstairs bathroom for 2 weeks and it carbonated perfectly. so as long as you warm it up, you shouldn't have a problem

Back