Flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfred88

Reaction score
My beer is flat after sitting in bottle for 4 weeks I have moved them to a warmer room and left them there for another week and they are still flat can I use conditioning tabs and recap or what do you suggest? Thanks for any response

We need to know more about it before we suggest adding more sugar. More sugar usually just results in bottle bombs if the initial sugar you added hasn't been eaten by the yeast.

When you had it in the bottles for the 3 weeks before you moved them, where were they? What temps were they at then? If you had them too cold, cold enough for the yeast to be dormant, then it would be like having just bottled them, and wouldn't really count as carbing time. Therefore that 1 week you might have had them warmer would only be the first week of carbonation and they might simple still need another 1-2 weeks.

Also what was the gravity of the beer? If it's a big beer, it could take 6 or 8 weeks to carb up.

I usually don't recommend folks trying to fix bottling problems until it's been 6 weeks or so in the bottles, because especially if you want to add more sugar, you need to make sure that all the existing sugar really has been consumed.

But rarely unless it's a big beer, does one need to be "fixed" and you have to be very careful just how you would attempt to "fix" it.

The thing that most new brewers having carbing "issues" is besides patience being the usual problem. Is that not enough sugar (if you followed instructions to begin with) but that the yeast hasn't for whatever reason, hasn't eaten the sugar that is already in there. Adding more sugar would just mean that when the yeast DID get around to eating the sugar, you'd have too much sugar in there, and have at the least over carbed gushers, and at the worse, bottle bombs. Usually fresh yeast is the preferable solution. But first you have to ascertain if there's a problem to begin with OR figure out why the yeast isn't doing it's job.

+1 on Revvys advice.

I had a honey Weizen conditioning at 68. On Revvys advice moved to warmer area 72. It still took two months conditioning and three weeks in fridge before they were carbed.
Slainte

what if you put in too much suger in the mix. the recipe i just did only called for 4 oz instead of the 5 oz of suger im used too. i have a habit of leaving a little extra head space in the bottles just in case do you think ill be ok

Back