Flanders red question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkalman

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been reading these forums for awhile now and so first just wanted to thank everyone especially some of the regs for the invaluable information I've found on here.
I've really been getting into sours and I recently brewed some Flanders red wort which was racked onto a yeast cake from a lambic style ale in a 6 gallon carboy. It's about 6 weeks in and everything looks normal so far but I'd really like for a bit of acetic character to develop. I remember reading somewhere that removing the airlock periodically to take samples will let enough air in for that to happen but I very rarely take samples. Usually just use the set it and forget it approach. My question is can I just simulate taking a sample by removing the airlock for 30 seconds or so? I was thinking of doing this like once a month until I bottle prob a year or so from now. Will this work? Will I risk getting too much vinegar character? Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

30 seconds of the airlock being off won't do much, leave it alone to do it's thing.

Back