Flame height test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are 2 pics of the burners at different heights. There is more red in the flame than the pics of video shows, but my air shutter is wide open.
It's one of these types:
IMG_3284.JPG

low burner
IMG_3311.JPG

high burner
IMG_3310.JPG

I'll be interested to see if anybody has more info on this. I have three of these on my set-up. All I really know about them is they are high pressure and need an accompanying high pressure regulator. So sayeth my local Hank Hill, purveyor of fine propane products.

They are also LOUD. I would prefer the Kick A banjo's but I could brew 3-4 beers for the price of 2 of them. So far I have made my brew stand completely out of stuff I already had and found in the trash pile (kettles and MLT not included). I want to get my no money's worth out of it.

Those are diffuser type burners. The flame in the second pic looks to be about right. You may have to adjust the dampers for different flame heights. IMO, it's good to have a little distance between the burner and the bottom of the kettle. This provides better heat distribution and helps to prevent scorching. I have one of these burners and also two of the ring type burners. The diffuser burner seems to burn less efficiently than the ring style burners. I say this because if I run the diffuser burner at a high output levels in my garage it will spike my CO detector, while the ring burners never do. The diffuser burner leaves a lot of soot on the kettle bottom. The ring burners leave very little or none at all.

According to the Basic Brewing Radio Podcast about Propane, the most efficient way to use a burner is to have the "blue flames lick" the bottom of the vessle. This is the hottest portion of the flame and will produce the most efficient heating of the vessle.

Warning - the guy from the propane institute is...boring at best, but has good info :)

I have 2 unknown brand jet type burners that are probably around 60k btu's.

Those look like my 185,000btu high pressure burner. They are 5" from top of burner to top of stand (bayou classic). It is loud as hell. I just bought the banjo burner and regardless of cost, if you brew in a garage, you will never regret it.

+1 on the noise.

My neighbors used to think I had a meth lab in the garage. Now they think I have a jet powered meth lab in my garage. Wildwest do you know approximately the difference in price between these high pressure burners and the banjo?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant cost to operate. I already have the Hi-pressure burners and love them. But when I create the next generation of brewstands I might upgrade to the banjos but not if they burn a tremendous amount more propane. And having used both, how much time do you think they saved you over the hi-pressures burners?

great info and good questions, I'll adjust the burner back a bit higher. Banjo's are on my birthday list. I can donate the burners I have to someone else's brew project. bayou classic KAB4 is what I'd like.

i have a KAB5 that I don't think they make anymore. I always wondered why I didn't ahve the jet engine people talked about. Now I Know

I've had banjos before and now I use the SQ14, which is right in between the jet engine and banjo. They're still pretty loud. I find I still never max out the SQ14 and get several more brews out of a propane tank. I highly recommend them.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant cost to operate. I already have the Hi-pressure burners and love them. But when I create the next generation of brewstands I might upgrade to the banjos but not if they burn a tremendous amount more propane. And having used both, how much time do you think they saved you over the hi-pressures burners?

I just did my first brew with this burner, but between heating strike and sparge water and boil I only used a little over 4 pounds.

Meaning I should get 4 brews on a tank, which is the about same I got with the other burner.

I'll report back when i've done a few more batches.:mug:

great info and good questions, I'll adjust the burner back a bit higher. Banjo's are on my birthday list. I can donate the burners I have to someone else's brew project. bayou classic KAB4 is what I'd like.

Those Banjo Burners are sweet looking!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjoFXonPWfQ]YouTube - The Power of a Banjo Cooker[/ame]

Back