flaked wheat and orange zest??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
About to make a pseudo-wheat as per the normal SWMBO demands, partial boil, 5gal, 3lbs light dme, 2lbs wheat dme 1lb flaked wheat, .5oz sweet orange .5oz coriander, WB-06.

The question is how long do I mash the flaked wheat for maximum head/body (because thats what I want outta my girl, winky face.)

Secondly, for some more orange nose I was gonna add zest of 1 orange to the fermentor likely for the last 7-10 days. Whats the best way to do this? I was thinking of just zesting an orange, boiling the zest up in 2 cups of water and adding the water/zest to the wort. Suggestions?

I've never used flaked wheat in an extract batch, as it needs to be mashed - you could separately mini-mash the flaked wheat...

But for the orange, this I've done in the past. First you never want to boil zest, because orange oil is volatile (evaporative). It will readily disolve in alcohol, however, so simply steep it in a small amount of vodka (which also sterilizes it), and add that just before bottling. Some of the delicate aroma will escape if you add it to the secondary, though that will work (though less well). Add it to the bottling bucket, give it a stir, and let the flavors meld during bottle conditioning.

Just a thought but you might want to look up the makeup of your wheat dme on the maltsters website. The one I looked at was 65% wheat and 35% barkey. You may want to do this with just wheat dme.

That was my plan with the flaked wheat was to mini-mash it, its only 1lb but w/e. So a couple oz's of vodka steep you say? and just add the vodka+zest before bottling? Ive heard horror stories using orange in the secondary and pulling out a metallic bite which I obviously dont want. Furthermore this batch is going into production tomorrow nite followed by a scottish 60 and a citra pale so im really leaving no room for error. On an opinion note, WB-06 is supposed to produce banana at higher temp and clove at lower temp, given the recipe, which would YOU prefer?

That was my plan with the flaked wheat was to mini-mash it, its only 1lb but w/e. So a couple oz's of vodka steep you say? and just add the vodka+zest before bottling? Ive heard horror stories using orange in the secondary and pulling out a metallic bite which I obviously dont want. Furthermore this batch is going into production tomorrow nite followed by a scottish 60 and a citra pale so im really leaving no room for error. On an opinion note, WB-06 is supposed to produce banana at higher temp and clove at lower temp, given the recipe, which would YOU prefer?

Flaked wheat cannot be mashed alone. It needs some malted grain to provide the enzymes necessary for conversion.

Not sure about this, but the metallic bite might be from getting too much of the orange pith - very bitter stuff. Try to only use the zest - a microplaner works great for this if you have one (http://us.microplane.com/microplaneclassicserieszestergrater.aspx)

Clove vs banana? Personal choice - either would work with this recipe. Push comes to shove though I'd opt for banana.

If you're super concerned, you can actually just add the vodka, it will absorb most of the flavor from the zest. As for the yeast, I prefer the phenols (clove flavors) over the 'nanner, but that's a matter of opinion - both are stylistically acceptable.

I have a microplaner (win), and as for personal taste, Id opt for phenols also. (I have a belgian pale that im drink right now infact and its SUPER phenolic and I can stop drinking it) the clove should add a different nonfruity complex I think Id like.

anyways, I dont have any additional grains to mash with the flaked wheat, and im just using it to add the body and head, what should I do? go grab some quick oats and mash it with that?

I don't believe quick oats are malted, they won't have the diastatic power to convert the flaked wheat. You'd need oat malt, which is occasionally at the LHS.

Edit: Quick oats ARE pre-gelatinized, so even though they won't convert, they might add some amount of starch which would translate to mouthfeel. Never gone this route back when I was doing extract brewing.

nbolmer said:
I don't believe quick oats are malted, they won't have the diastatic power to convert the flaked wheat. You'd need oat malt, which is occasionally at the LHS.

Edit: Quick oats ARE pre-gelatinized, so even though they won't convert, they might add some amount of starch which would translate to mouthfeel. Never gone this route back when I was doing extract brewing.

It's not really the starches that give the mouthfeel, but the proteins. Really not sure you want to be adding a bunch of starch to your beer. Personally I don't think I would bother with the flakes grains. You don't need them for this beer.

Back