Flaked oat and Flaked barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo103

Reaction score
Hi I am doing a wake n bake stout clone and was going to use Flaked oats and Flaked barley along with chocolate malt,black patent malt and black barley. I have heard some things on using Flaked malts that they have to be mashed with base malt. I am going to combine all the malts above in a sac bag and steep them in 2 gallons of water at 155 for 40 minutes (i call this a mini mash) before removing and bringing to boil to add my light D.M.E. Will this work I am am assuming it will since it is being combined with the other malts and that that is what people mean when they say mash with other base malts.

thanxs CHEERS!

Highly kilned malts have had their enzymes denatured by the heat of kilning. You need a pilsner, pale, or other light malt to provide the enzymes for conversion. I would also mash a little lower. Maybe 152-153. Your DME may be slightly less fermentable that grain wort, but you can make up for it with a lower mash temp.

So should I add one lighter malt since the others are all dark Malt or would it still work with darker Malts also I found malted oats would it just be easier to substitute it for the flakes oats?

Back