Fla-Vor-Ice in beer...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffb666

Reaction score
OK - in the summertime, I love those big giant Fla-Vor-Ice pops we all had when we were kids, especially the orange ones. Want to make a beer that kinda tastes like that. Have a saison in one of the fermentors now - tempted to just dump an orange Fla-Vor-Ice into that or when kegged. Thoughts?

Fla-vor-ice is just water, sugar, and artificial flavoring. If you really want to make an alcoholic beverage that tastes like fla-vor-ice, you'd just want to brew a light, sweet beer (I'd do it as a Kolsch) and dump in some extract flavoring. Not my cup of tea, but go for it if you want.

I don't think tossing the actual fla-vor-ice into the keg is a good idea. Maybe once the beer is done, take a SINGLE pint and add a single fla-vor-ice to the beer to see how you like it before dumping a bunch in a beer.

Good luck!

I already did some sweet orange peel at the end of the boil - but I dont think its gonna be enough. No idea why I think this would really be good, but for some reason I do...

Reminds me of when I was a teenager. My buddies and I got someone to each buy us beer for spring break. The guy came back with a case of Natty Ice for each of us. We were far from beer snobs, but no one could drink it. Out of 5 or 6 of us, only myself and one other guy would drink it. So we each ended up with 3 cases. It was so bad we got desperate and thought the same thing as you. Freezer pops are awesome, maybe they will make this beer awesome. So we dumped them in a cup with the beer. Nope. In case you are wondering, there are worse tasting things than Natty Ice. At any rate, don't let me dissuade you, with a recipe designed for it it may be good. I just thought I'd share my personal experience.

One of the first times I drank alcohol, it was a box of red wine, and we cut it with cherry kool-aid to get it down! :mug:

If you like the orange citrusy taste. Then I would make a simple light pale ale, and dry hop with about an ounce of Citra. You'll swear there is some kind of juice in the beer.

I will probably just dry hop with some Amarillo and sweet orange peel. I am still thinking of adding some Flavorice at kegging though. Doesnt seem that much different then adding the syrup to a traditional Berliner Weisse to me...

Latest posts

Back