FL Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like we are not at the optimum lattitude but we arent very far. I know I will be setting up a Hop garden this spring in my backyard. The good thing is that we dont have to worry about the bugs and diseases that infect them since there are no other hops around.

I'm going to try it next year in Pensacola.
I'm going to try and make sure to get good air flow in the area to help combat the high humidity and I will try to give it some light afternoon shade. Afternoon full sun in the south is quite a bit stronger than at higher latitudes.
I'm going to try Cascades and Nuggets as they are tough and more disease resistant.

I'm hoping the toughness of cascade and nugget will help with that, high humidity generally get plants by encouraging downy, powdery mildew and other funky messes. Good airflow around the vines should help.

I read they tried to grow them on in the Virginia area, no doubt they won't do as well here but the chances are 1 or 2 of the tougher ones should at least live.

Whether or not they will set cones and the cones will last in the humid/hottest part of the summer is another story.

If they die...
they die

we shall see

Latest posts

Back