Fizzy wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGoodwin

Reaction score
Have made some Elderberry wine and thought it was finished fermenting. It had been sat in my garage for about a month since primary ferment finished, I had racked it once and then put it in to bottles. I opened one last night as my brother wants to have a taster but I noticed it fizzed when I opened the bottle and there was a very fine mist in the neck of the bottle, is this secondary fermentation? I have put it all back in the demijohn for now.

Thanks for advice in advance

Have made some Elderberry wine and thought it was finished fermenting. It had been sat in my garage for about a month since primary ferment finished, I had racked it once and then put it in to bottles. I opened one last night as my brother wants to have a taster but I noticed it fizzed when I opened the bottle and there was a very fine mist in the neck of the bottle, is this secondary fermentation? I have put it all back in the demijohn for now.

Thanks for advice in advance

It does sound like it wasn't finished, but it's possible that it was simply gas in the wine that didn't have time to dissipate since it was bottled so quickly.

Did you take any hydrometer readings?

Yooper said:
It does sound like it wasn't finished, but it's possible that it was simply gas in the wine that didn't have time to dissipate since it was bottled so quickly. Did you take any hydrometer readings?

I did yes but I forgot where I wrote them down lol. fail! I spoke with a friend who does a lot of home-brew and he said about adding a Camden tablet, I will leave it another month and then try again

Back