Fizzy, Sweat, apply cider achieved :mug:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfbf

Reaction score
:tank:

Been aiming for this for a while but think I have finally achieved it :ban: A cider that is similar to the sweet ciders you buy in the shops.

What I did was

1) Apples from my own trees
2) washed and pressed
3) Added Camden (kill natural yeast and germs) and pecitolase (eats the pectin to make it clear, and made a big difference!)
4) Used the Graff recipe and enough sugar to make my cider 6.5%
5) Tasted to see what the broth tasted like was a bit to acidic, so added some chalk (from home-brew shop) Also if you apples do not have enough tannin can add that or add acid if they need that. Was aiming for nothing too acidic.
6) Left for 3 weeks.
7) Racked, added findings
8) Added Potassium Sorbate and a camdem tablet to kill last of yeast
9) Added apple juice to bring it down to the right alcohol level (I wanted 4.5%) also added a bit of sugar as I had some left.
10) Kegged, force carbonated. keg left out in the cold so does to start fermenting again
11) After 2 weeks started to drink :mug:

There is a slight after taste which tastes mainly of yeast could also be all the chemicals. The main comment everyone says is it tastes like alcoholic apple juice! Which was in the end my aim. Have drunk over half so far and should all be gone in the next week, then I need to think of something else to brew :D And how I will change the recipe next year :)

So morel of the story is it is possible to produce sweet fizzy cider at home without filtering or cold crashing :)

Back