fixing yeasty beer taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vydyne

Reaction score
I'm still new to brewing and decided to try a Bavarian heffewiesen. Under suggestions of the guy at my lhbs I fermented between 72-76°. Sat in primary 10 days secondary 10 days bottle conditioned for going on week 3 now. I've read a lot lately and have discovered most likely my yeast taste problem is from high ferment temps and will do so lower next batch. But I'm wondering if with age will that strong taste fade out or am I stuck with a lot of bottled yeasty beer.

I am a bit confused as to your question. Heffewiesen has a flavor profile that is by definition "yeasty". Maybe its just the beer you made, not the process in which you made it.

I have found that beer is pretty hard to overly screw up. A lot of brewers on this site that have uber specific temps and times to temp have honed their skills and palets enough to detect the slightest variance on a tried and true receipe. I, however, am not quite to this level. There may be a few "off-flavors" due to higher ferm temps, but I do not think it would be enought to change the overall character of the beer.

...Under suggestions of the guy at my lhbs I fermented between 72-76°...I've read a lot lately and have discovered most likely my yeast taste problem is from high ferment temps ...

Good job. Lesson: LHBS often don't know what they're talking about. Many do, many don't. Lesson is to verify advice.

Do the same beer 10 degrees cooler and I think you'll be pleased.

PS - http://translation.babylon.com/german/to-english/Hefe/# :)

Thanks for all the replies. Haha I know heffes are yeasty beers. I was aiming for a franziskhaner clone. The light clove and banana flavor hints are there but its just drowned out by an insanely over powering yeast after taste. Was just wondering if bottle aging would help to mellow and reduce it down a little bit.

I do think I'll try it again at lower temps too though.

I've read on this site that lower temps can produce more clove and less banana with heffe yeasts. Just something to consider! :mug:

I have fermented heffe yeast too hot, and I can confirm that there is a line where it goes from "heffe character" to "something wrong here." For future reference, Brewing Classic Styles advocates a 62 degree fermentation temp for an award winning heffe. As for the bottles you have now, yeast character will fade over time, but if you just want to get rid of it, we discovered that serving an overly yeasty heffe super cold and with a generous squeeze of lemon does the trick.

Wow can't believe how well the lemon worked! Ty for the suggestion. I'll definitely keep that in mind and share it with all my brewing buddies.

Back