Fixing a bad keg "leg"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybox

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to call it. On the lid, there are two feet that press down on the top of the keg. My understanding is that these feet should be about 2mm below the lip so that it has a chance to push the O-ring down and form a seal.

My new-to-me keg won't form a seal. I've replaced the O-ring and used silicone lubricant, and adjusted under pressure, but it still leaks. Inspecting the lid, it looks like one of the two legs isn't low enough.

I don't want to ruin the lid, but those legs are pretty thick and aren't bending easily. Any advice on how to bend those legs? Could this even be my problem?

The lid seal is not created by the clamp's legs, but by internal pressure and the O-ring.

Although many kegs will seal with just the clamp, all but a few do with some pressure applied (5-8 psi). Those few that won't whatever you try have problems, like a bent lid or flange, burrs, a bad fit, etc.

Inspect the keg's lid flange for unevenness, warp, or mechanical damage. Do same for lid and O-ring. If it's a bad fit, you can buy a thicker O-ring that may do the trick.

Back